Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADAWARE AND VIRUSES

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gill

Gill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:24 AM

I have a huge problem with Adaware and viruses getting on to my
computer. I run Windows XP and use Norton Antivirus and AVG
Antivirus. I also scan my computer about 3 times a week with Adaware.

However, I am constantly plagued by Adaware and viruses. These still
implant themselves on my computer. My virus checkers will sport them
when a manual scan of the system is done.

My question is - why do these protection programs NOT spot the
adaware and viruses as they come in and notify me. They should stop
the viruses and trojans at the "back door" but they do not.

Can anyone advise of the best software to protect my system.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gill

Gill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:45 AM

What is the problem with IE? Also, why Mozilla?

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

I run Windows XP and use Norton Antivirus and AVG
Antivirus.

You should not have 2 antiviruse running at the same time.
This will cause problems.

The danger, is that one antivirus program may (Read this as eventually will) see
the others definition files as viruses, and will remove them. This is not so much a
problem with manual scans, where you only run one Antivirus program at a time, if
you pay close attention to what it detects, and where. If you manually configure it to
ignore the other program, and its files, then you minimize the risk from this problem.

The big problem, is the silent threat. Most antivirus programs will scan web based
(not necessarily all, like P2P, and IM) file transfers. It is quite common, for one
antivirus program, to detect the incomming virus updates for the other. Thinking parts
of the definition files are viruses in their own right, the AV will strip these out of the
update.
The end result? Instead of having two, or even one, up to date fully functional
antivirus programs, you have two severely crippled programs, which are each
missing critical definition, and detection files .

So, it is best to have one antivirus program, and keep it up to date and use it
properly.
Then, if you experience a problem, or question its efficicacy, you run an online scan.

In addition to Ad-aware use these programs:

aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Also read this Tutorial:
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If you still have problems after that:

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE 1:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

NOTE 2:
Your Firewall & Antivirus should definitely be set to run at startup.

IE - Lots of security problems due to it's use of Active X controls, but it's still needed for Windows updates, so you can't get rid of it all together.

Personally I recommend Firefox.
It's faster than IE, and more secure.

You can use as many browsers, as you want.
Try several, and choose the one you prefer.

A couple of threads you might find helpful:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1999/browsers/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2715/what-is-the-best-browser-to-use/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1782/firefox-web-browser-pipelining/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/4460/changing-browsers/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3951.html

Edited by tg1911, 17 March 2005 - 10:31 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Tiberia

Tiberia

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

Well here what the mozilla web site says about mozila...
try it download it for free and see what is the difference...

Mozilla is a world-class open source browser that is designed from the ground up to support open internet standards across a variety of platforms including Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, OS/2, Solaris, and many more. Mozilla provides users with acclaimed browsing convenience along with power features such as pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing. Mozilla also provides a sophisticated platform for developing web and intranet applications using cutting edge technologies such as XML, SOAP and XSLT.
Mozilla

Features Mozilla offers users world-beating support for forward-looking Web standards and excellent compatibility with the existing Web. With Mozilla, pages lay out correctly and quickly. In addition, Mozilla supports popular plug-ins like Java, Flash, Acrobat, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, and RealPlayer.

The Mozilla suite of applications has plenty of features to make browsing and email easier, faster and more convenient. Once you've surfed the web using Mozilla's pop-up blocking and friendly Sidebar, or read your email in peace with Mozilla junk mail controls and the comfort of knowing you're not susceptible to email viruses, you'll never be satisfied with anything else.

In addition to being a great browser and mail client, Mozilla is also a web development platform with advanced tools like the DOM Inspector, the JavaScript Debugger, and support for XML, DHTML, XUL, SOAP, XSLT and more. There's no better open and free platform for building web and intranet applications.

And for the power user, Mozilla provides sophisticated control over your browsing experience. With Mozilla's advanced JavaScript controls, tabbed browsing, image blocking, multiple mail accounts, privacy management, themes and extensions, advanced users will find everything they need to optimize the Web experience. For customizing your entire internet experience, Mozilla can't be beat.
"Tiberia"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users