Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Guy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scc2

scc2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hello the forum,

My first post.

I'm scc2 and I am new to computers. Before last fall my experience was limited to using Word to produce a resume and occasionally posting on the WoodenBoat Forum. I am now taking a class in computer maintenance and repair at a local school that allows adults to attend with high school kids (11th and 12th grade).

I am finding that I relate well to hardware and enjoy spending time at NEWEGG (where I found this forum) searching for just the right piece of hardware, and am about to start on my 3rd build. The selection and assembly I find easy and relaxing, and with the teacher's help I get the drivers without to much trouble.

With software I don't do so well. So far I have used XP Pro exclusively, though the class covers 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP. On my recent build (Jetway JM26GT3-SVP Mobo, Athlon64 dual core 3000+ CPU@2.1GHz, 3GB Kingston DDR2@667MHz, Western Digital SATA HD 160GB with 16 MB cache ), I had the teacher set me up with a dual boot (XP Pro/Ubuntu) so now I will be learning a little about Linux. I may find Linux easier to relate to, not sure yet. I sure don't find Windows to be very intuitive. The teacher doesn't have time for all of my questions which are mostly due to my problems with navigating the user interface, and I like the name of this forum so here I am.

I actually registered here a few weeks ago but found it to be very confusing (not simple to figure out like the WoodenBoat Forum) so much so that I'm not confident that I'll be able to function effectively here without someone else looking at my screen and showing me what to do. Hopefully I'll get it all figured out soon because I really need to be able to find answers when I'm not in the classroom.

You guys may be seeing a lot of questions from this new guy.

sc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi scc2,, Welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

We hope you enjoy you time here and please, don't be afraid to ask questions, we are a friendly community that is here to help.

Please take a moment and visit the New User Orientation section, to get familiarized with how the board works. It will make navigating this board a bit easier for you.

There is also an extensive Tutorials section, that offers a wide range of information and solutions.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:21 PM