Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plz Help Me With A Wow Comp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IxL (not excell)

IxL (not excell)

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hay All been a long time since i posted so i cant remember if this is the right place to post if not sorry : (

My birthday is comeing up and i have convinced my pearents to get me a cheep computer.
Now i this is the problem i would like to be abel to play world of warcraft and i was wondering if anyone could show me the specs for a comp that could play wow quite well but not to expencive
hears the game requirments.
Windows® System 2000/XP OS:
Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
512 MB or more of RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 2 class card or above
DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
6.0 GB available HD space
4x CD-ROM drive
A 56k or better Internet connection
Ï»X«Ł

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

basically any computer can run WoW. the cheapest way to get one is to build it yourself. but barring that, check out a Dell, or head out to your local wally world and pick up an emachine. sometimes walmart will have em for 350ish, but you can always get a full setup for 500. Just pay attention to the amount of RAM and what video card it has in it. you want at least 1G ram and a minimum of Geforce 6600/Radeon 9600. For cheapness sake without sacrificing too much gameplay i'd say either a 7600 or an 8600. Even an onboard video will run WoW, just might not do so well, you can always get a video card later anyway.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

Do you have a price range? Also, do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers,etc. included in this price? If your not comfortable with building your own computer (it's not that hard though), I've seen some good set ups on cyberpowerpc.com . If you look on that site and don't know much about which parts to get, myself or someone else on here can probably help you out! Dell and other companies will sometimes have some good deals on computers too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 IxL (not excell)

IxL (not excell)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

i think i found one
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_I/
could anyone plz tell me if this comp ok to play wow and dose it come with like vista and the keyborde the web page is kinda confusing me sorry to be a pain but im like a bit stupid with all this tech stuff

Edited by IxL (not excell), 16 March 2008 - 01:00 AM.

Ï»X«Ł

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

I went to the link you sent and I have some suggestions. I tried going part by part in order of that page.

You can pick whatever case you like, it doesn't really matter

Choose the 500Watt power supply, because the 300Watt is a cheap kind and once you throw in a graphics card in might not be good enough.

That AMD processor should be good enough if your on a budget but if you are willing to spend more Intel has faster ones. If you want to stay low on the price though an AMD Athlon X2 4000+ should be good enough.

Make sure to select the freebies!

The default processor cooling fan should be good enough.

The default motherboard selected should be fine too

For ram, 2gb should be good enough.

Now its time for the video card. If you want the best card (price/performance) then the 8800GT is your best bet. This might be a bit steep for you though, and if your only playing WoW, and not many newer games then it would be overkill anyway. I'd suggest the ATI 3850 if you want to play some other newer games too, or if you want to spend even less the 8600GT 512mb (don't get confused with the 8600GTS, the GTS version doesn't cost much less then the 3850, and you might as well get the 3850 because it is quite better).

If the only game your going to be playing is WoW then the 8600GT 512mb should be fine. Now to confuse you more, the 8500GT 256mb would probably be the lowest card you could get to play WoW without lagging a lot. If your budget is very tight and the only game you are going to be playing is WoW, then you might want to just go for the 8500GT 256mb.

You won't need two video cards.

Choose a monitor if you need one. You might be able to find better deals on monitors at best buy or somewhere else though.

For hard drive, its up to you how much storage you need. That 250gb one looks good for only 13$ more then the 160gb though :thumbsup: .

Just choose whatever kind of optical drive you need. If you want to burn DVD's and do all that good stuff, the default one they have selected has many features.

The integrated sound should be good enough unless your a big sound freak. You probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference.

Choose whatever speakers you want if you need them.

The onboard network card should be fine, and you don't need a modem unless you are going to be hooking up a phone line for dial up or something.

On the next page (page 2 Accessories) You can choose a mouse and keyboard there if you need one. You might want to go to a place like best buy or something and buy one from there so you can see how they feel and if you like them.

The rest of the page is stuff thats up to you. You can get wireless for your computer, if you have a wireless router.

On Page 3 you get to choose what version of windows you want. It's totally up to you which one to get. If you get vista though, right below there is some more freebies, including halo 2 and flight simulator games. Make sure to check those off if you choose vista!

The rest of the things are up to you.

Now, hopefully I didn't confuse you too much. If you need any more help let me know! Also, if you feel comfortable building your own computer, you could probably make one for a little bit cheaper then this. Even if you feel comfortable installing your own ram and video card you could save some money.

Edited by Sterling14, 16 March 2008 - 10:07 AM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 IxL (not excell)

IxL (not excell)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

Lol hay all thanx for the help but i need one more thing from u befor i let you rest. :thumbsup:
ok i forgot to mention i live in aus and the web page i linked dosent seem to ship to aus only USA i managed to find a new comp on an australian web page but it costs abit more i was wonderring if someone could check out http://www.computeronline.com.au/system.php?package=4
and if you could show me the cheepest set up that can play world of warcraft efficiently(not laging every sec)
also if any of you know a cheeper aus site plz let me know.

Thanx in advanced....Ixl
Ï»X«Ł

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:26 AM

That Core 2 Duo E4500 is a good choice.

Get 2gb of ram.

For the graphics card, you could get a 7600GS, which should work fine, or you could get the 8600GT if you want a little better performance. You could always save some money if you buy the graphics card separately and put it in yourself.

Wow, that is a very expensive set up. I don't know how much Australian money is worth, but you could get that computer in the US for a couple hundred dollars less.

#8 IxL (not excell)

IxL (not excell)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:25 AM

Lol after all this i go into a secondhand comp shop and they give me a quote for an old comp and will throw in a new vid card
for only $475 now thats much more resoniabel for a 15 YO who dosent have a job :thumbsup:

Specks
512MB Ram (will look to upgrade to 1gb i will price check 2gb but 1GB seems to work fine on this comp so yea)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0Hz
DVD/CD combo CDRW
4X usb
17" screen
and XP profecinal with this new vid card SGRRcen v5200 ASP
Ï»X«Ł

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

Thats good, have fun playing WoW!

#10 IxL (not excell)

IxL (not excell)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:25 AM

OH and thanx for the help anyway : )
Ï»X«Ł

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users