Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brightness Control Hotkey No Working On Toshiba P105

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CableBro

CableBro

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

I bought this laptop used with Vista on it and the LCD brightness control wont work. The Brihtness is set at default level which is tolerable but non the less i cannot adjust it brighter or less. I reinstalled Vista and installed XP media center edition and still cannot get the brightness to adjust. I have installed all of the toshiba drivers for this notebook including the recent ACPI bios and hotkey application. I am currently on XP MCE.
If anyone has any ideas to what could be wrong i would glady appreciate it. I have been at this for a few days now and no answers not even from the Toshiba site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

I assume this is the "push the Fn button and another key" thingie? If so, check to ensure that the Fn key works by pressing it and one of the other functions to see if that works.

Then test the key that you use to adjust brightness - without using the Fn key. Does that key also perform it's designated function?

This'll let you determine if it's an error with the keyboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 CableBro

CableBro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for replying.

The FN key works as well as the F6 and F7 key. I can see the GUI come up adjusting the brightness level up and down but nothing happens on my LCD. I'm assuming this can have something to do with power management but i'm not sure. All of the other power management features work.

Edited by CableBro, 15 March 2008 - 06:04 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

If the Fn keys work properly, I'd next suggest disabling all Power Management and seeing if that helps. If it doesn't, then I'd have to assume that there's an issue with the LCD - maybe the backlight is going out?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 is_that_a_cupholder?

is_that_a_cupholder?

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

I am having the same problem with my X205-SLI6 with Vista Ultimate.

I have called Toshiba Tech Support and they sent me to my local authorized service center. The tech there told me that it has to do with something being corrupt in Vista. He said he's seen a bunch of these issues and was able to fix one of them only for it to reappear again for some unknown reason. I didn't leave my PC with them to become another statistic though.

I'm researching to see what I could come up with. I reinstalled my graphics drivers and am now going to reinstall toshiba power management ('Toshiba value added added package for Vista' and 'Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility for Windows Vista') and see what happens. Already did this about a month ago when ALL my Fn keys stopped working so I won't keep my hopes up.

I'll report what I find....if anything.

I know the keys work though because I can actually change the brightness before Vista comes up while it is still booting. I would 'upgrade' to XP in a heartbeat if Toshiba released XP drivers for my rig.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:57 AM

Don't forget to check the support site driver's page, periodically. They don't always announce when a patch is available
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 layup

layup

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

I have had the same problem with my Satellite P-105, The screen brightness hot key (flash card) will display but it doesn't respond. All other hot keys seem to be working.

I purchased the laptop new in May 2007, I noticed the problem started about a year ago, probably after an automatic update was applied but not sure exactly when. I have unistalled/reinstalled Toshiba Flash Cards and updated the vid driver but no change. I also called Toshiba Tech Support, they would not give advise over the phone , suggested sending it to a repair center "probably a hardware problem". I didn't send it in because I don't think they really knew what to do about it. Just living with a dim screen :-(

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has any more info on this issue.

:thumbsup: ps. Out of curiosity I used the Spybot S&D System Startup tab (Mode>Advanced Mode>Tools>System Startup) to unselect the loading of "TCrdMain.exe" at startup and after rebooting the F6/F7 screen brightness controls are working! It appears that other Fn keys are working as well.

Edited by layup, 29 January 2009 - 11:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users