Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

Hi all

Im having a problem with my Desktop icons, the problem im having is, if i were to move any one of my icons somewhere else on the desktop i get two of the same,(once moved it creates another icon) the one ive moved is fine and can be used such as double click on it to use or right click for propities etc, but the duplicate one created after ive moved the original cant be used or deleted, im not sure what has caused this but its only just started to happen, ive tried to find some settings to see if anything has changed but cant find anything of any use, hope this makes sense :huh: its been so annoying as i have loads of icons (shortcuts) and they cant be deleted :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

Have you tried to right click on an empty area of the Desktop and select "Refresh"? What happens if you do that? If it "fixes" it, then I'd suspect there would be issues with the default refresh rate of your Desktop. Post back if this solution works and we'll research it some more.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

Ive tried the refresh and it is still no different, ive tried it 3 or 4 times and each time i drag a icon (shortcut) to a space on the desktop it still shows a icon (copy of the one moved) in the original place and is totally dead, cant delete and cant use as a shortcut, its just part of the desktop background now as i cant move or do anything with it :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

I'd give SFC.EXE a try. Here's a link on how to use it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Thanks usasma, i tried the SFC.EXE but it didnt come up with anything :huh: maybe there is something hidden that can change this but i cant find it.

#6 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Ahhhh I've found the problem, seems the desktop background was at fault :huh: I had taken a screenshot of a game i was playing (CoD4) and used it as a desktop background, for some reason it was copying icons when i moved them so i had two of everything, changed the background to a stock one and the problem has gone :huh: many thanks for the help but glad to say it wasn't too serious :huh:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

Wow! That's something that I've never heard of before. Thanks for letting us know.

#8 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

This reminds me of something (a maybe-not-so-nice practical joke) that was described in a thread here at Bleeping Computer, but I just can't find that thread right now.

1. Take a screen snapshot of the normal desktop.

2. Specify the image snapped in 1. above to be the desktop background.

3. Right-click on the desktop, and UNcheck Arrange Icons By, Show Desktop Icons.

I tried this, and it does work. You end up with a desktop that appears to be normal, but none of the shortcuts/icons do anything when you double-click on them (because they are just parts of a large image file)!

So, if you ever encounter what seems to be a non-functioning desktop, right-click on the desktop and make sure that Arrange Icons By, Show Desktop Icons is checked. What happens then is that the desktop is painted with the background image (the "non-functioning" image of itself) and then the functioning icons/shortcuts are displayed on top of that image. If the icons/shortcuts haven't been moved since the original image was snapped, the icons/shortcuts align with their images on the desktop background. Visually, the desktop doesn't look any different, but now it "works" properly when you double-click an icon/shortcut. After that, right-click on the desktop again and select Properties, Desktop to verify/change the background.

I'm using a system with Windows XP Professional SP2, with all updates; I think the same behavior will occur in Vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users