Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problem or Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 francd1

francd1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:09 AM

I am running XP Pro on a Samsung X05 Laptop. Although I've been running the latest version of AVAST I managed to pick up some Trojans. Using HijackThis I have managed to all but clear out my registry keys of the infected items (although it does appear that some website details in the registry keys keep coming back).

I have since started using Mozilla and Zone Alarm and the pop up problems and homepage resetting has been resolved, however my computer seems to be running slow and I am experiencing several problems including Physical Memory Dumps, random system shutdowns, 'Operating System Not Found' on re-boot (after a few trys it does eventually start up), the system regularly runs a file system check on C due to the incorrect shutdowns.

I have also noticed a periodical whirring which sounds like it could be the hard drive or the CD drive, this short burst of whirring is followed by a click. I've noticed that if I'm listening to music the sound will be interrupted after the click for several seconds or more.

I have checked my hard drive and have around 8GB free space so will shortly be backing up and removing data. I have carried out a defrag which, due to the state of my drives, I hoped may sort the problem but it hasn't.

As above, I can't be sure that this is in anyway linked with the virus although I will run HijackThis and post it on the relevant forum. Is this likely to be a hardware fault or will re-installing the OS sort the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

See what your HJT log post turns up.

This way, we can eliminate the possibility of spyware/malware, being the cause of your
problem.

If this doesn't help with your problem, then post back here.
In your post, mention that you have already submited a HJT log, and it was cleaned.
This way, we can start looking for a fix to the problem, on a clean machine.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 francd1

francd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:37 PM

Unfortunately my computer appears to have given up the ghost, I don't seem to be able to boot up at all, the HDD either does not start up at all and I'm presented with a black screen with 'Operating System Not Found', or occasionally the system will boot up as far as checking the C drive (further to an previous system crash resulting in a Physical Memory Dump) and then the HDD whirs, clicks and then the system freezes.
Is it worth re-installing the OS or does it sound like the HDD is knackered. I still can't help thinking this is as a result of a virus or my subsequent deletion of Registry Keys, although the system did work OK for some time after deleting the keys, it has not been running properly for some time and I have been experiencing Physical Memory Dumps for the last couple of weeks.
Any advise would be appreciated. I have recently run HijackThis and have the log report but cannot access the system long enough to send this to you. If I should be manage to do so shall I add the log to this thread or start a new one in the relevant forum?
Obviously I am sending this message from a different PC....

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:17 PM

If you can download the ultimate bootcd and run the appropriate hdd diagnostic.

If you can use a friends PC I'd also suggest building ubcd4win, you'll need a copy of XP with SP1/SP2 slipstreamed into it which will allow you to create the CD. This will give you full read/write access to your hdd allowing you to recover any files that you need and if necessary run either AntiVir and/or Sysclean on your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users