Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Settings For New Build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

I ordered the rest of the parts for my build and i have already read through the manual for the motherboard online but im still a little confused on a couple ( probably very simple) things.

My System:

1. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
2. G Skill DDR2 6400 2X1 GB
3. EVGA 8800GS
4. ASUS 20X DVD Burner
5. Cooler Master 650 Pro ps
6. Audigy SE
7. Cooler Master Centurion 5
8. ZeroTherm CF900 Heatsink
10. Windows XP 32bit OEM
11. Seagate 320GB HDD
13. E6550

These are the parts i have and the mobo, xp, 8800, ram, and processor should be here by middle to end of the week.

My question that im trying to figure out is

1. Should my motherboard recognize most components such as SATA?
2. Im not doing any overclocking so can most settings stay at default settings?
3. When im in bios and set up The first boot as DVD and second boot as HDD will i want to save these settings in bios or is this a one time setting.
4. Besides First boot and second boot what can i expect to setup if any.

Like i said i downloaded the manual online for the mobo and it tells me everything that the bios can do but i wasnt sure what selections i have to do just so i can get XP up and running.

Thanks so much for your time

Edited by Lucky23, 15 March 2008 - 01:38 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

I would take a little time to learn my bios before loading XP, and then I would take a good look at the drivers on the cd vs what is available on the web site

Since you are using an extra sound card I would definitely turn off onboard sound in bios and anything else that I know I would never use, all this plug and play stuff only works in theory and only gets worse as new hardware starts to outgrow your operating system

Leave the cd as first boot, you can do a dry run to test

Another thing, this is an ideal time to decide if you want to partition your hard drive and have a system and data partition
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

no i just want to load it strait on to the hardrive i dont think i will need the partition. I think what you mean by the partition is if i need to reload windows i wont loose any of my saved information by having a partition if thats correct but i dont keep very much important info on my comp so its not really an issue. I could just use a flash drive for my pics or something.

Edited by Lucky23, 15 March 2008 - 01:58 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Partitioning your drive will also make it work faster. We would normally take a 30GB partition for the System Partition (C: Drive) and leave the rest for Data, Pictures and everything else.

By doing that, you can increase the access time, thereby making your computer run faster and more stable.

Good luck whatever you do.

DR

#5 Lucky23

Lucky23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

Well ill think about the partition but like i said im just gaming and surfing. Besides that i dont use it for much more then outlook or word.

but anyway

My question that im trying to figure out is

1. Should my motherboard recognize most components such as SATA?
2. Im not doing any overclocking so can most settings stay at default settings?
3. When im in bios and set up The first boot as DVD and second boot as HDD will i want to save these settings in bios or is this a one time setting.
4. Besides First boot and second boot what can i expect to setup if any.

Like i said i downloaded the manual online for the mobo and it tells me everything that the bios can do but i wasnt sure what selections i have to do just so i can get XP up and running.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

any time you change a setting in bios you have to save and exit for it to stick

leaving the cdrom as first boot for a while won't hurt anything

have you tried booting to the cd and seeing if it saw your sata hard drive? You might want to practise the setup, the partition part is a little tricky, don't worry if you mess up(we all do the first time or two) you can start all over with no bad effects

I would suggest a 40-50 gig system partition for xp at the most, if you do many full dvd game installs they can be put on the D data drive

when you are ready to bite the bullet and do the install, just remember to only press any key once to boot to the cd, after that and it starts the actual install and then reboots, don't press it again when prompted, xp will have loaded it's setup and boot files on the hard drive by then and booting to the cd will start it all over again

and never take the cd out until it's completely finished
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users