Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Stops At 3.99gb

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BigWave Dave

BigWave Dave

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:59 PM

How can I continue downloading a file from the internet when my PC File Download stops at 3.99GB?

I started last night downloading a 4.4GB file to my external hard drive (I have 77GB free). It downloaded through the night and then, WHAM. It just stopped at 3.99GB. I have not canceled the download yet for fear of losing everything and having to start all over. Thus, my "file download" prompt is still open but no data is being downloaded. I goggled the issue and most comments point out that my file system is probably FAT32. I checked, my external hard drive but it is NTFS. So that's OK. Other comments stated that I should use a downloard manager. So I downloaded "FREE DOWNLOAD MANAGER Version 2.5 Build 755". That is now loaded but now what? I can't seem to find a way to resume the file download. So I'm stuck and I need help. Any assistance would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

Well...anyone using dialup...probably should use a download manager...for just the same reason as you have currently encountered, if no other (i.e., the ability resume stopped downloads).

IMO, you will not be able to install the program and have it be effective for a download which was started before installing the program. I've never tried that but it seems counterintuitive to me.

So, cut your losses, install the download manager (FDM)...and initiate your download once again.

I see several instances of downloads being curtailed at 3.99GB, many of which have to do with the FAT limitation. Maybe you might check the file system on that external drive again, my experience with those is that FAT32 is the default file system used.

And..why not just download the file to your C: drive/partition and then move it to the external?

It could be worse...

Louis

#3 BigWave Dave

BigWave Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thank you Louis. FYI, I'm connected via high speed cable, not dial up. As for external drive being FAT32, I checked on My Computer>right click drive letter> properties which then states that the file system is NTFS. I think you're right, I'll just have to bite it and download again. I appreciate your help! :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

A 3.99 GB file on broadband and NTFS...should not present such problems, nor should it take forever.

I don't know, makes no sense to me :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

may one ask from which site you are downloading?

it may well be that the site itself has gotten problems?

#6 BigWave Dave

BigWave Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Good point Rudy1. The file is actually a DVD (NTSC DVD ISO file). Whatever that means. The web site is http://www.archive.org/download/ThePowerOf...ghtmaresDVD.iso
It also give me an option of MPEG2, FTP or HTTP. I choose the MPEG2 since I believe that is to make a DVD. Anyway, thanks for your interest in my post. Regards,

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

I have just done an attempt download ; I have a ,normally, speedy broadband connection but it tells me it will take about I guess 20 minutes ,I got to 25% with 11 minutes left to go ; the site does seem sparodic in its response to put it 'kindly' :thumbsup:

is that of any help?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

Is the partition on which your Temporary Internet Files folder resides FAT32? I can't say off the top of my head for other browsers or FTP clients, but IE at least doesn't download directly to a destination, it downloads to Temporary Internet Files then copies to the destination.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

IE can have problems dealing with large files under all circumstances, as can firefox.

If FDM does not work, you may wish to try DownThemAll for firefox, or Wget (command line only, sorry).

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users