Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect Parameter At Partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bagration

Bagration

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hi everybody. I have a pc with winXP prof. After I tried to update BIOS on my ASUS A8N-E, using ASUS' own utility, i got the message it was a success (or something similar) But then i got BSOD, and when I rebooted a partition on one of my 2 HDs was corrupted. The Windows install is fortunately on the other HD, but now i discovered that the error has "spread" to this HD aswell!

What can I do??

My HD's:
Seagate 160gb
Hitachi 250gb

AMD XP Athlon 3700+
Twin Corsair DDR 1024mb 3500LL

The disk i first discovered who had a corrupted partition, is the Seagate. Later it suddenly appeared on the Hitachi disk, but only a folder is corrupted.

I've also tried some windows based utilities to save the data from the Seagate disk, and the result was a RAW format files. I dont know what to do with these.
But I desperately need to save some of the data on that disk, especially photos and documents.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

You sound as if hard drive corruption if communicable like a virus, etc. It is not.

To get a better understanding "corruption", you might look at:

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-C...n&id=817785

File Corruption & Its Consequences - http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/ar...3.asp&guid=

Hard drive problem situations are varied (bad sectors, file corruption, file system corruption). File corruption and bad sectors are very common, while file system corruption occurs less frequently.

So my question is: Exactly which of the three examples above...do you really think applies to your case? Did you get an error message? If so, please post it exactly as it appeared onscreen.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

BIOS flashes are very dangerous operations - and they can have system wide effects. It's possible that the BIOS flash went bad and is causing some corruption. To protect yourself I'd suggest first putting the hard drive into another working system and saving your data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Bagration

Bagration
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

Thanks alot for your quick replies.

I wont be trying to flash BIOS again anytime soon...

As it is now, not the whole harddisk is "corrupted" or damaged... Only one partition, and ofcourse the one partitition with pics and documents. Ive used several programs (from windows) to try to get the data back. The strange thing is that the only files they find which can be accessed, are from a different partition on the same HD!

If I try to access the damaged partition through windows explorer, the message is

K:\ is not accessible.
The parameter is incorrect.

When using a program called Active Partition Recovery, I saved the raw-data from the disk. Thinking I might be able to recover something from that. But I dont know how to use these files named Disk Image (RAW).DIM.001 etc...

Anyways, I have sort of surrendered, and ordered a new HD, A Samsung Spinpoint.

But I would still desperately recover the pics and documents from the damaged disk....

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

I own a copy of that Active program, did not like it...chose to use a different program for my recovery efforts, which I found to be more reliable.

Data Recovery Tool for Windows XP - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

There are also some free programs that others have familiarity with which are alleged to do the job, so don't rush out and buy anything.

As for accessing files from another partition...you might try taking ownership of the files you want to view. In my experience, it is not uncommon to have to do this when attempting to access Documents & Settings files/folders.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Louis

#6 Bagration

Bagration
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

Thank you LOUIS!

I didnt like Active Partition Recovery neither. So I was glad you would recommend another program. Im trying it out now, and I'll let you know how things work out. I've also fiddled a bit with GetDataBack, and it def. looks nicer. But no good results yet...

Nice to communicate with all of you from Texas. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks again!

Yours sincerely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users