Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover Mbr Info, Multiple Partitions On Hdd Gone !

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steve walsh

steve walsh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hi,

In a nutshell, my 250GB Maxtor HDD had a bad run in with Windows Recovery after a nasty BSOD episode.
Now all the partition info is gone. The disk appears as unformatted in another pc (XP) and as bad when viewed in Partition Magic.
The disk used to have 3 partitions on it, approx 80GB in size.

My understanding is that the MBR contains the partition info (which partition starts at which sectors etc...)
So this must've been broken/erased/changed?
I've tried a program called Ranish Partition Manager and there were no active partitions on the disk.
I made the whole disk 1 FAT32 partition and I was then able to see my first partition info in windows.

Short of trying the to find the partition points manually, sector by sector, is there any quicker way to find out ?
(yes, a backup would be useful but nobody's perfect right ?)

I'm guessing that the answer will be no, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

This link may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Boot_R...storing_the_MBR
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 steve walsh

steve walsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

The problem is I don't have the original MBR backed up - the one with the correct partition info (and it isn't there anymore or my partitions would not have disappeared ???)
I need to recreate it but I was wondering if there was an easy/quick way to find at which sectors the original partitions were split.

Edited by steve walsh, 15 March 2008 - 08:23 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

Then (IMO) you were correct in your first post - then answer is no. Sorry! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 steve walsh

steve walsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the reply... you've confirmed my worst fears...

Oh well.... I guess I have a new project for the rest of my life now.... Do you have a favourite sector ? I could try that next... :flowers:

And to top that my old P2 has gone on the blink - I reserved some address' in the bios for an old ISA Soundblaster card I installed and now I get 1 long beep, 2 short ones (and no picture) - amibios beep codes mean can't communicate with video card (my ATI IGP one) or the MOBO is broken !

Sorted this one - jumper on mobo to reset bios... some things do work as expected !

How ironic is that, after joining bleepingcomputer.com my computer starts bleeping at me...

It's not a good weekend... but it just got a bit better
:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by steve walsh, 16 March 2008 - 08:54 AM.

#6 steve walsh

steve walsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

I've finally found a utility to find & restore my lost partitions !
TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk)

It found the right "partition points" (I'd tried quite a few combinations but with 488285028 sectors to choose from it was an impossible task)

--PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB --Start CHS- ---End CHS-- BS CHS
0 - 07 63162545607 79367 0 1 1 10117 254 63 B OK
0 - 07162545670163830870 79995 10118 0 1 20315 254 63 B OK
0 - 07326376540163846935 80003 20316 0 1 30514 254 63 B OK

And was able to saved the fixed MBR to the disk.

This and other tools, were mentioned in a useful guide : http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1139

I hope this info helps others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users