Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 freeborn

freeborn

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:04 AM

Recently I have this problem with my USB keyboard. When I start my computer, the keyboard is not working. I have to go to Device manager to uninstall it and then reinstall using Add Hardware in Control Panel. This happens each time I start my computer. I tried using a new keyboard and the same thing happens. Would be grateful if someone can help.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

What about other USB devices on the system...any change in their functionality?

First guess would involve my deleting the USB controllers from Device Manager, rebooting and letting them reinstall. Perhaps there is corruption present.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

You could also check a setting in bios.
Reboot your computer, enter bios.
Root around for something called USB Legacy Support (or something similar).
Since there are different bios, I can't tell you where to look.
If disabled, enable. Save the change and exit bios.

#4 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:05 AM

All the other usb devices are working properly. Do you mean deleting the main USB controllers ? Sorry, how do I delete it ? Right click and then press the delete button ?

Thanks

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

Have you tried your keyboard in another usb port?
And another device where you have the keyboard hooked into?
There is a slim chance the issue could be caused by a faulty usb port.
And did you check the bios setting?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

I agree with Queen-Evie, some BIOS have a specific location to enable a USB keyboard. If you set it and have to go back and reset it you need to replace the CMOS battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:38 AM

Hi, I have checked the bios and usb legacy is enabled. I have also tried using different ports, still the same problem. When I checked under Device manager/HID there is a yellow exclamation mark. When I open the USB HID for keyboard, there is under device usage this message:- " a driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. Code 32"

But when I check under Services, the HID services is already set to automatically start. Could this be an registry error??

Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

The driver is not the same thing as the service.

Even though the service may be scheduled to start (properly), it cannot do so if the driver is corrupt, missing, poorly written, etc.

So...what I would try is to get updated drivers for the keyboard...since your system doesn't seem to make it with the ones you currently are trying to use.

That error message is meant to indicate that it's either a driver...or a service, IMO. You've checked the service out, seems like time to replace the driver (if possible).

The alternative to that would possibly be to look for a BIOS update that references the known situation that you are running into.

Louis

#9 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

Mine is a standard usb keyboard. I have go to driver update. But the message I get is "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed. By the way how do I update my bios??

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

Before even considering a BIOS update...

System manufacturer and model?

Does a non-USB keyboard work properly? If you don't have one, borrow one for a few seconds and test it.

Louis

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

Drivers can become corrupted and will need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. If you click on the box with the X in it next to Keyboard it will expand the tree and show your keyboard. If you right click on that one of the options is to uninstall, choose this. When you reboot it should be recognized as new hardware and search for the proper driver/s.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:18 AM

Hi dc3,

Yes I have tried uninstalling. And when the computer reboot it will detect the keyboard as new hardware. But the next time I start the computer again, the same thing will happen. The keyboard will not work and I will have to uninstall and reboot so that the computer can detect the keyboard again.

I am now using a non-usb keyboard with no problem. But I will like to solve the usb keyboard problem.
Thanks

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:27 AM

Buy/borrow a USB 2.0 card and test. A card will cost $5-10 and provide much safety from reliance on onboard USB ports.

Then it becomes either the keyboard/drivers or...the keyboard/drivers :thumbsup:.

Louis

#14 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:54 AM

I will stick to using my non-usb keyboard for the time being. Thanks to everyone who responded to my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users