Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Mobo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 degsy1067

degsy1067

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

I recently tried to update the bios on the machine below - originally it was rev.1001 and i wanted to update to rev.1004.
I used Asus live update - it downloaded and tried to install the new bios but the message 'failed to verify' appeared - i exited live update and shut down. Ever since then i can power up the unit and the green light appears on the motherboard but nothing else happens - ie monitor will not switch on and there are no beeps - bios was set to boot from dvd rom so the floppy option is out.I figure it may be a bios chip / eeprom error but aside from that I AM CLEAN OUT OF IDEAS !! (Any successful resolution may well result in a proposal of marriage!!)

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600
Service Pack 2
IE 6.0.2900.2180
AMD Athlon XP, 1252 MHz (6.25 x 200)
Asus A7N266 (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 ACR, 3 DIMM, Video)
nVIDIA nForce 415/420 (DDR)
736 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU (Microsoft Corporation) (32 MB)MB (DDR SDRAM)
C-Media CMI8738 Audio Adapter
Floppy Drive
ST380011A (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
LITE-ON LTR-52246S
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616F

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

I had a similar problem to this. I use an ASRock board so it might not be the same but, on your motherboard there should be 2 pins and underneath it should say CLR CMOS or something like that. use a paper clip and touch both pins, or use an actual 2 pin connector (found on the back of hard drives to tell whether master, slave, etc.). hold the paper clip to both pins, or keep the connector on for 10seconds. Then start the computer. Hopefully, it should boot up. If not, your S.O.L. Try to get the company to replace it, because this usually (most likely) means you've fried the BIOS. Also, try removing your RAM and booting. If you hear a beep then we MIGHT have a hope. Other than that, contact the company and ask for a replacement. So try those two tests, and let me know what happens.

Good Luck,
n0data

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

I do not know how good Asus support is in the UK, but If you can contact them, it's possible you can get another BIOS chip.Most chips nowadays plug into a socket instead of being directly soldered to the board There are places in the US where you can send your chip to and have it reflashed. Not sure about the UK
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 degsy1067

degsy1067
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

I switched the cmos jumper setting several times for various lengths of time along with removing various components but to no avail - my last resort is a hot swap but i am unfamiliar with the process. Any help on this please ??

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

Also called boot-block. Make sure the floppy drive works. Look around this site
http://www.wimsbios.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

I was looking around the site you just posted. Boy wish I had found it when I fried mine.

Solution 1: Boot-block BIOS

Modern motherboards have a boot-block BIOS. This is small area of the BIOS that doesn't get overwritten when you flash a BIOS. The boot-block BIOS only has support for the floppy drive. If you have a PCI video card you won't see anything on the screen because the boot-block BIOS only supports an ISA videocard.

Award: The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file on the floppy and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

AMI: The AMI boot-block BIOS will look for a AMIBOOT.ROM file on a diskette. Copy and rename the correct BIOS file on the floppy and power up the PC. The floppy doesn't need to be bootable. You will see the PC read the floppy, after about 4 minutes you will hear 4 beeps, this means the transfer is done. Reboot the PC and modify the CMOS for your configuration.

Thanks,
n0data

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users