Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Aol E-mail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wilsenn

wilsenn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

I have a friend who is very unfamiliar with computer procedures and I'm not much better. After years of frustration he is finally switching from AOL dial-up to broadband(Comcast). He would like to keep his AOL
e-mail address if possible. Can anyone give me detailed instructions as to what steps are needed to switch his e-mail address after Comcast is set up. Many,many Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

He would like to keep his AOL e-mail address if possible.

Do you mean he would like the same name for his Comcast account? Example, if he uses abc@aol.com he wants Comcast to be abc@comcast.net?

If so, it all depends on whether or not the name is currently in use by another Comcast customer.

When Comcast internet is installed, he will have to create a primary account user name, which will also be his email address. He can try the name he wants; he will be informed if it is already in use.
If that's the case, he'll have to use another name.

If the primary account is set up under a different user name, he could create a secondary account using his aol name. Again, he will be informed if the name is in use.

Once that account is set up, all he has to do is log in with his user name to access webmail. There is nothing to set up.

What I suggest is that you give your friend the following link, it leads to the Comcast help forums which are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums. He can ask whatever questions he has about Comcast services. (He can't get to the forums until he gets hooked up to Comcast)

Link to Comcast help forums:
http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

If he hasn't gotten connected with Comcast yet, he can still access the FAQ's for information:

http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/

Account management has a section devoted to primary and secondary accounts-it will explain the difference between the two and he can find out how to create a secondary account.

#3 wilsenn

wilsenn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the thorough reply Queen-Evie.We will try your suggestions and links and let yuou know how it turns out.
Thanks Again!

#4 wilsenn

wilsenn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

I think the problem is solved. I went to GOOGLE and found a site titled "Free email address from AOL MAIL" It claims he can tranfer his aol adress and it will also transfer his address book and notify his adressees. Haven't done it yet but it sounds good. Thank again for your help.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

I didn't think of this last night, because it isn't something I've used.
Comcast offers Easy Change, which claims it will copy settings from
one account to another.
Info is HERE: http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?...EasyChange18205

If he has any questions or concerns, he can ask in the Comcast help forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users