Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Control Program Disappeared?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stuffed

Stuffed

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

Hi

My computer was recently infected with the trojan vundo. With the assistance of a malware expert in bleeping computers that issue has been resolved. However after the clean up I noticed I had lost my sound.

If I go through All programs - accessories - entertainment - volume control

The volume control is missing.

If I go through control panel - sounds and audio devices - volume tab - and try and check the box with place volume icon in the task bar, I got an error message saying the volume control program is not installed and to install use the add/remove programs in the control panel.

If I go to add a program it asks for the CD, which I have. Though my CD is Windows XP home edition service pack 1 and since then I have update on-line to service pack 2.

I can insert my CD but what I am looking for to reinstall the volume control program so I can sound back on my system?

Thanks for your help.

Stuffed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

Please open the services dialog (Open a run prompt and type in services.msc)

There should be a service called "Windows Audio" near the bottom.

I need to know if it is started, and if it is set to Automatic, Manual, or Disabled.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:13 PM

Hi Billy,

I opened the services dialog and ran services.msc.

In "Windows Audio" it read;

Status - started
Start up - automatic

Thanks,

Stuffed

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:53 PM

Hmmm.. dont know at that point.

Your SP1 cd should work as far as windows is concerned for installing Volume Control, at least to my understanding.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hi Billy,

You commented 'Your SP1 cd should work as far as windows is concerned for installing Volume Control, at least to my understanding.'

It may very well do.

I only want to install the volume control program, can I from my XP CD? If so how? Is there a file somewhere in there called volume control program, where is it? How can I find that particular file to install.

If not, how can I get the volume control program installed.

Edited by Stuffed, 15 March 2008 - 12:46 AM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

Why did the volume control icon disappear from my taskbar notification area in Windows XP?

Follow the instructions-hope this helps.
(I know, the above link mentions icon in the taskbar, but instructions for your error are also included)

Also, are the sound drivers installed?

#7 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:04 AM

Hi,

I downloaded the sndvol32.exe file from the net and copied it into the system32 folder.

Now when I go through control panel - sounds and audio devices - volume tab - I can now check the box to place the volume icon in the task bar.

That part is good, I have the volume control in the task bar, but I still don't have sound.

My speakers are working fine, all mute buttons are unchecked, volume up, I have downloaded the sound drivers again.

What diagnostic tools can I run?

What things do I have to check to make sure everything is there and working?

After vundo and the clean up, the sound has gone. Maybe there is some file missing in the registry?

I've noticed this icon in my control panel 'CMI Audio Config Program' I have never seen before, and it doesn't open, so what is that?

Edited by Stuffed, 16 March 2008 - 01:06 AM.

#8 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

The lack of sound has been resolved. It appears that one of my output jacks is no longer working. I have always had my speakers in the (black jack) for rear speakers, this jack is no longer functioning that is why there is no sound. I changed the speakers to the (green jack) front speakers and sound is working, so I will just use this jack from now on.

Thanks

Stuffed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users