Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcut Key Or Hotkey

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chow2rich

chow2rich

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Does anyone know how to assign a shortcut key or hotkey in Vista? I would like to mute the sound of a hotkey or shortcut key.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Depends on the software that you use for your keyboard. I believe the Microsoft Intellitype software and the Logitech Setpoint software has this capability.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

My computer is a laptop. So my keyboard is a standard ps/2 keyboard. What do I need to do to get hotkey or shortcut? Because my original OS XP could use hotkey or shortcut key and could mute by pressing the hotkey.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

What make and model of laptop?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:31 AM

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite and model is A105-S4324. Got this last Christmas 2007. So it's one year. Still like brand new.

Edited by chow2rich, 15 March 2008 - 11:31 AM.

#6 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

I think i have pretty much the same laptop as you. Have you installed all the toshiba drivers? Because on my keyboard i can hold down the FN key (function key) and press the Escape key and it will mute my sound.

Try doing the above and if that doesn't work then install the drivers from here:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...p;x=45&y=16

If that link doesn't work then go to Toshiba.com, hover over Service and Support, and click on Consumer Services and Support. Then click on Tech Support(under Computers and Accessories) and select your computer's make and model. Click Show Results and then at the top click Downloads. Then in the drop down boxes at the top click on All Operating Systems and select Windows Vista.

#7 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

No it doesn't work. It works for XP, but when I installed Vista it doesn't work. In XP, I pressed the function key and Escape and it worked, but for Vista no.

Edited by chow2rich, 16 March 2008 - 03:35 PM.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

Do you have any buttons with speaker icons on your laptop, just above the keyboard?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Oh wait....press the Fn + F7 keys

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

Sorry Jacee, but it dosen't work. All I have is a sound icon on the task tray. And my keyboard is a Standard PS/ 2 Keyboard. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4324. I had XP Media center and the hotkey worked fine by pressing Function + Escape, but not for Vista.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

It's easy to confuse me :huh: ......... so are you saying that you're using a laptop with a PS2 keyboard and not the keyboard on the laptop?

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

No Jacee, what I mean is that the keyboard on the laptop is a Standard PS/2. That's what I meant.

Edited by chow2rich, 18 March 2008 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users