Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choppy And Lagging Video Playback After Fresh Windows Install On New Hd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 anybody1123

anybody1123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

So this is the problem.. I recently had to buy a new hard drive because the old hard drive decided to go corrupt on me. Before this happened everything was fine.. videos played perfect even at full screen. But ever since this happened I cant play any video bigger than its original size or it will playback choppy , the audio gets ahead of the video and it gets worse when i put it full screen.. it looks like im playing a video with a low bit rate.. I seem to have this problem regardless of the video type.. ( the problem persists regardless if the videos are on the HD or on the internet) I cant even watch YouTube videos without some choppy playback
On the old hard drive I had Media Player Classic (K-Lite Codec Pack) for all the codecs so i decided to download this again hoping it would solve my problem.. with no luck. I tried at least 5 different media players but its apparent that the players arent the problem.. I dont know what else to try..

I dont know if this helps or makes any difference but I do notice that when the video is playing.. the CPU usage is stuck at 100% on the 1st comp.. yet on the 2nd comp its somewhere between 60-80%

These are the specs on the computer im trying to play the videos on:
Dell Optiplex GX110
Windows XP Home SP2
P3 1.00GHZ
384MB RAM
Western Digital 320GB EIDE HD
Integrated Graphics (Intel 82810E)
anything else you need to know let me know..

I dont think its a problem with the computer speed since they played fine before i had to get a new hard drive and i couldnt say its the hard drive because i have a 2nd computer on the network that can play these same video files from the 1st computers hard drive perfectly with no problem.. and its an older computer .. P2 350MHZ!

Oh yeah i almost forgot.. this might have something to do with it but im not sure.. On the 1st comp.. when im playing the file with media player classic (K-Lite Codec Pack) .. if i goto the ffdshow video decoder properties .. i noticed a difference compared to the 2nd comp. on this one, one of the options is jus Video Renderer as where Comp 2 this option is known as Video Mixing Renderer.. and if i goto this on Comp 1 .. on the deinterlace tab theres a little information area and it says
VMR Input 0
Video Description : "Pin Disconnected of Invalid Media Type"

where as on the 2nd comp it has an actual value .. for example for the video im currently playing it shows
Video Description : 704x396 47.95 HZ

sorry if this is so confusing..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

Do you have the latest version of Flash?

#3 anybody1123

anybody1123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

Do you have the latest version of Flash?

yeah

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:54 AM

Then you need to be more specific. What are you watching? Where are you watching it? Post a link so we can see if it works. It could be anything.

#5 anybody1123

anybody1123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

Then you need to be more specific. What are you watching? Where are you watching it? Post a link so we can see if it works. It could be anything.

.. it doesnt seem to be specific to what im watching, it could be any video format. .. all the files are on the hard drive but it also does this with videos on youtube

i also did notice something.. but i dont know how this got like this.. i was using a program i think it was HWINFO to scan the hardware on the pc and under display or video or watever it came back saying VGA acceleration or somethin similar was Disabled.. but i never disabled anything.. like i said in my original post this all started happening after a fresh windows install.. so im guessing maybe its type for a video card instead of relying on the integrated crap? lol

#6 mojo_midget

mojo_midget

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

have you tried using a differant playback application? I've never really been a fan of WMP but to each their own. windows media player from what i understand is a resource intensive app. try something like winamp

#7 anybody1123

anybody1123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:24 AM

have you tried using a differant playback application? I've never really been a fan of WMP but to each their own. windows media player from what i understand is a resource intensive app. try something like winamp

ive tried windows media player, winamp, (k-lite codec pack) -- windows media player classic , nero showtime, and a few others i dont remember the name to.. but its the same thing.. like when it plays it seems as if each frame is playing too slow .. its like you would see a frame then sometimes black screen then the next frame but it doesnt do it super slow but its not normal speed either.. and when its full screen its all blurry.. like theres no graphics acceleration and the video usually stays stuck on one part and the audio keeps going.. unless i put it back to the original size which is usually really small.. especially when a video has subtitles and youre trying to read them lol that one program (HWinfo) did say somethin about VGA being disabled but i wouldnt know how to enable it since i never disabled it.. all i know is i installed windows on a new HD and then this started happening.. the only leads i have is the VGA disabled thing and that MPC says the VMR description : Pin Disconnected or invalid media type... weird stuff..

Edited by anybody1123, 16 March 2008 - 05:27 AM.

#8 anybody1123

anybody1123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

well seems i got it to work again...
i DO feel stupid now.. all i did was lower the refresh rate on the monitor from 85 to 75hz and now it works perfectly fine again.. weird since i could almost Swear it was one of the first things i tried but oh well at least it works..

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

adjust xp for best performance, do check smooth edges of screen fonts

ffdshow(open source direct show) is much better than K-lite(some pirated codecs?)

forget about any x264 video, it takes a 2 Ghz cpu and a very good video card for those

remember xp has a footprint of ~300Mghz, that only leaves you 700Mghz to work with

VLC is supposed to be a good player for lamer compter setups
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 pokerdebs

pokerdebs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

how do I upgrade Flash?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

here again let me warn you adobe is a company that encorages you or requires you to "keep up with the times"

it's a little like taking a model T on the interstate, will you be able to maintain a minimum speed of 45 mph?

They call the internet the "information superhighway", move over to the far right lane, well maybe take the back roads?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users