Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapters - That Aren't There

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhiltheBear

PhiltheBear

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

I'm trying to remove my wireless network and install a wired one. In the
wireless version I connected to the internet via one PC and the other PCs
connected to that one wirelessly.

I've removed the original modem and tried to remove the wireless adapter
from all PCs. However, on the PC that connected to the Internet everything
seems to have gone pear shaped. (The others have all connected perfectly to
the new ethernet router/modem system).

In Device Manager (or looking under Network Connections) there appears to be
a single instance of the Wireless Network Connection (labeled Wireless
Network Connection 5). However, if under Network Connections I select Network
Troubleshooter and perform a scan I can see 3 instances of "Instant Wireless
USB Network Adapter ver 2.6". These "ghost" adapters are causing a problem
because their default IP Gateway address is the same as the address on my
router/modem and my PC can't connect to the new modem because of the
conflicts. (They also appear under Accessories - System Tools - System Information-
Components - Network - Adapters but no driver name is given).

My question - how do I remove these entries? They aren't in Device Manager
and they aren't seen under Network Connections, so the usual methods don't
apply. It's got to be easy - I just don't know how!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Have you looked for these in the USB section of Device Manager? If they're listed there, right click and "Uninstall" or "Disable" should be available.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 PhiltheBear

PhiltheBear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Have you looked for these in the USB section of Device Manager? If they're listed there, right click and "Uninstall" or "Disable" should be available.

No - that's the problem - they aren't there! It seems that one part of the system can see them but another part thinks they are gone. I don't think they are actually there but that something somewhere contains a reference to them as if they were. So when everything is loaded whatever it is says that it has information, and uses it, about non-existent devices. That causes a conflict and the device that is there can't work!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

In Device Management, click on the View menu and put a checkmark by "Show hidden devices" - then step your way through each and every entry in Device Manager to ensure it's not there.

This device seems to be associated with a LinkSys PCI card - do you have one of these installed? Do you have LinkSys software listed in Add/Remove Programs?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 PhiltheBear

PhiltheBear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:41 AM

In Device Management, click on the View menu and put a checkmark by "Show hidden devices" - then step your way through each and every entry in Device Manager to ensure it's not there.

This device seems to be associated with a LinkSys PCI card - do you have one of these installed? Do you have LinkSys software listed in Add/Remove Programs?

Neither shows anything! The device was a Linksys wifi transmitter/receiver but it connected via a USB port so there's no actual hardware attached. I've searched the files on the system for any possible references to Linksys but there's nothing.

I tried attaching the device again and it was picked up and installed automatically by Plug and Play. Unfortunately, when I uninstalled it the 'mystery 2' are still there :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users