Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading/replacing Laptop Parts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jcmanning

jcmanning

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

Okay here's the specs:

Toshiba Satellite P205D-S7479
********************************************************************************
Operating System **
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)

Processor
Processor Type * : AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology Gold Edition Processor Number * : TL-64 Processor Speed * : 2.20GHz Front Side Bus * : HyperTransport™ Technology @ up to 800MHz

Memory Size *
2048MB

Memory Speed
PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM

Display Size *
17.0" widescreen

Display Type *
WXGA+ with TruBrite® Technology

Display Resolution *
1440x900, Supports 720p content

Graphics Engine *
ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600

Graphics Memory *
511MB total: 256MB DDR discrete memory + up to 255MB shared memory w/ATI HyperMemory™ technology

Hard Drive Size *
250GB
Hard Drive Speed

4200rpm
Optical Drives *

DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive supporting up to 11 formats
Wireless LAN * ♣

Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11a/g/n)
Bluetooth *

No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
Webcam
Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
Input Devices
TouchPad pointing device, Internet Launch button, CD/DVD Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Prev Track, Next Track),
104 key US keyboard with 10 Key Pad

Security
Finger Print Reader

Modem
Modem
LAN
10/100 Ethernet LAN

Audio
Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono), harman/kardon® stereo speakers with subwoofer

AC Adapter
120W (19V 6.3A) Auto-sensing, 100-240V / 50-60Hz input

Battery Type
Li-Ion (4000mAh)

PC Express Slot
1-ExpressCard™ Slot

USB Ports
6-USB (2.0)

iLINK
i.LINK™ IEEE-1394

Media Port
5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
S-Video
TV-out (S Video)
********************************************************************************

I wanted to replace the hard drive due to infections. I've been to the Toshiba website and I have found hard drives for this specific laptop but replacing it is way beyond me. I was also thinking about upgrading the ram too. I haven't been able to find any source of help about these kinds of laptops...
I've only read and heard that upgrading laptops is hard and if you mess up, the damage is permanent.

I tried to dual-boot with xp but it wouldn't install because on startup it said I needed a previous version of Windows to validate the install.
I also researched the incompatibility of drivers from Vista to XP for laptops and it resulted only in a headache.

Any suggestions, feedback, are welcome. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Replacing a hard drive (especially on a Toshiba) is easy. From this link it's a SATA drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834114393

But, FWIW, just formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS will fix the infection problems without the expense of a new hard drive. Just follow the directions on the DVD case that came with the laptop and you'll be back up and operating in an hour or two.

BEWARE!!! This will wipe everything off of the hard drive - so you'll have to backup your stuff before starting!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

Changing the hard drive is rather simple. 2 or 4 screws the old one slides out and the new one slides in. The thing is loading the OS. Do you have the recovery CD's that came with the computer? If it's infected now, I wouldn't save anything because of the possibility of transferring the infection. Have you tried our malware forum? Upgrading your memory is a simple task. After you do that you could allocate more memory for your video
Crucial memory

Edited by garmanma, 14 March 2008 - 04:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 jcmanning

jcmanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

@usasma: thanks, I'm probably gonna have to end up using this solution-thanks for the link!

@garmanma: very nice find, im saving this link, definitely gonna buy one of those. And yes, I currently have a thread in the malware/hjt forums...Still got to see how that's gonna come along.

Thanks for the feedback guys...Wow, well first of all, there's more to this problem than you think there is.

Here's a list of all the stupid things anyone could do to a laptop that I did and mastered the art of:

-Left a live connection to the internet while scanning for viruses
-And leaving other anti programs running in the background
-Did a lot of registry cleaning and repairing WITH other anti/registry-fixing programs still running in the background
-Did not clear internet cache files/cookies prior to scanning
-Tried system restore and checked back in about 7 hours later, system restore wasn't complete and I got ticked, did a force shutdown (hold power button for 5 seconds)
-Repeated the last step 5 hours prior to this post (9:07pm, AK time) same results - except I didn't use the default System Restore, I used Uniblue's RegistryBooster
-Do NOT have the Vista disk OR warranty whatsoever

So with that in mind lol, I have one question: Is there a way to replace or fix broken/corrupted/gone-forever registry files? I'm not good with computers (obviously) but I think I've read somewhere before that if a registry entry is permanently damaged or missing, reformatting the hard drive would prove useless. Because right now, if I bog up my machine with a resource-consuming program, windows explorer just disappears. Also, when I open up folders, sometimes windows explorer and desktop icons flicker everything is really slow...Now I know what they mean by '...os could become unstable."

on a side note, I hate learning trial-and-error way but I'm thickheaded so it just might be what I deserve.

Edited by jcmanning, 15 March 2008 - 01:07 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Contact Toshiba for a replacement Restore DVD - it'll be a lot cheaper than buying a copy of Vista!
But I just tried to navigate the Toshiba site to find this info - and it wasn't fun! I'd suggest calling their support number and see what they have to say (it'll be something about ordering it from and authorized service provider).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jcmanning

jcmanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Ok, I'll try to do that as soon as I can...Do you think I can dualboot from an xp partition and delete Vista?

*update*
Out of my own curiosity, I was able to partiton and dualboot a copy of windows xp pro :thumbsup:
It took me a whole day trying to get able to switch back between the two w/out Vista disc and just finally got it.
I think I might be able to fix my own problem I made. But the infections are still there lol.
From XP Pro, I looked into my C: (Vista) and saw files that I wouldn't normally see.
I saw that there was a whole bunch of winload.exe (Vista OS loader file) and figured I probably got those
from interfering with my system restores. I'm going to delete them and see what happens from there.
(Note. Some devices and drivers are a really big problem - due to incompatibility with OS issues :S)

Don't know where to go from here but I'm going to try to get as much fixing as I can without the Vista disc.
Feedback + Tricks and Tips says ftw.

Edited by jcmanning, 16 March 2008 - 12:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users