Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kanye

Kanye

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

Okay, so I'm looking to get some computer games and I figured I would need legitimate graphics. I have a whole box of very old graphics cards (1MB - 8MB each), not very good at all. In fact they're horrible. Last year I got a PC as a gift (used) from my dad, and it came with an integrated graphics chip and a Rage Pro 128 AGP 4X TMDS (16MB) graphics card. When I plug the monitor into the graphics card, all is well. When I plug it into the integrated graphics though, nothing shows up. The monitor (Sony SDM-M51) doesn't detect being connected to the computer and the screen is black. I'm assuming something might be wrong with the integrated graphics, and I'm hoping it's probably better than 16MB memory so I can start using that instead. But as I said it doesn't detect when I connect it. So basically, 2 questions:

1. How can I get my computer to detect my Sony SDM-M51 monitor? (Didn't come with a CD, came used with the used PC. Currently it's set to plug and play monitor).
2. How can I get the integrated graphics chip working?

PC Specs:

Sony Vaio PCV-RX540 Digital Studio PC
1.2GHz Intel Celeron Processor
384MB SDRAM
Rage Pro 128 AGP 4X TMDS 16MB graphics
CD-RW read/write drive, DVD-ROM drive

And I researched the computer and found out that the integrated graphics chip (the one that doesn't work) is an Intel 815E internal AGP graphics system. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

Computers should automatically detect any monitor, if they are hooked up to it, and its plug and play.

I'm doubting that if the computer is that old, that the integrated graphics will be much better, but there should be a setting in the BIOS that allows you to switch it to that one. I can't really think of what else you could do. It would probably work to just take out the graphics card that you're currently using.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Okay, I'll try removing my current card and connecting it to the integrated one and see if it works.

#4 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Okay, I removed the card and used the integrated chip and it's working. :thumbsup: 32MB of RAM. I was wondering though, it's shared RAM, right? Can I transfer some of my PC RAM and let it be used by the graphics chip? I already tried searching through the BIOS but there's no such option. Help please?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

There may be a setting in your system's BIOS that allow you to allocate more RAM - but very few systems offer this option, so don't be surprised if it's not there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

It's still probably not going to be good enough to play many games, even ones a few years old. Theres more to graphics then just how much memory they have, and integrated graphics usually don't have the other features needed to play games.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users