Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable Power Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LTJLily17

LTJLily17

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

I have a PC at work that is very unstable. We have swapped everything out on the machine and it is still having issues (this is a computer at a business that's not located at our base office). I am thinking we may be having some power issues (brown outs, surges or whatnot) but I am not sure how to detect this. Does anyone know of an affordable way (under 100.00 USD) to monitor the quality of power the system is getting? I have come across an adapter you plug into the wall that is a bridge between the wall outlet and whatever you have plugged into it. I just do not remember where I saw that or if I dreamed it up :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Well...you are using surge protectors on the computers, right?

A little more info about just what you presuppose is the problem...might be revealing/useful.

And what evidence allows you to jump to the conclusion that you have power issues at all?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

By reading this and your other posts, I'm making an educated guess that you're not in the US. In some countries, in different locales, power quality is an issue. I think when you said you were looking for something under 100 USD. you might have been thinking of a battery backup/surge protector combination. Something along these lines:
http://www.apc.com/
Unfortunately, if you have truly unstable power, You need a voltage regulator/line conditioner. These are inexpensive
http://www.apc.com
Note that the one's I linked to are for 120 volts US. APC is a world wide company, so availability should not be a problem
Where are you from, if I might ask?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 LTJLily17

LTJLily17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

I am located in the United States, Ohio to be exact.

As far as why we are looking into a power issue- we've had numerous failues at one of our remote locations. The hard drives are constantly unstable, but we have replaced everything. New towers, cards, processors, hard drives, and we've tried it with and without hard drive trays. No matter what we do, the system becomes unstable. We are running the same OS at 32 other locations, and our software developers have checked to make sure it isn't the software.

The system was on a UPS, and now it is on surge protector/power strips. I ordered a new UPS from APC about 3 days ago. The only thing that hasn't changed is the environment for the system, which is why we are exploring the power avenue.

Do any of you have any experience with a regulator or line conditioner?

Thanks for your repsonses.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

I've used them before in a real old building whose wiring hadn't been touched since the '30's (real scary). You can keep on throwing money at it, but I would recommend hiring a qualified electrician. He could check the building's ground circuit and, using an ammeter and voltmeter with strip charts, check out the power for 24 hours to see when and where there are any problems. If it is electrical, chances are it will damage other equipment sooner or later
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users