Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winreanimator/braviax.exe Nothing Works

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mark J Chomiczewski

mark J Chomiczewski

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

I've tried Smitfraud, SDfix and most recently COMBOFix. Combofix will not launch when asked, it only shows message that is not validated and do I still want to run. I reply "YES", but nothing happens. My problem is I continue to see the red x icon telling me my computer is infected, and when I click on it, it launches Winreanimator. I have PC Tools Spyware Doctor, but it is NOT able to rid this thing. Am I better off doing clean install of OS???

Thanks to whoever can help me......

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:34 PM

Please do not run combofix unless directed by a HJT team member.

Please follow the instructions here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131251/how-to-remove-winreanimator-removal-instructions/

Then,
Please go to ESET OnlineScan (NOD32)
  • You will then see the Terms of Use, tick the check-box infront of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start
  • Should you face a Security Warning that asks if you want to install and run a file called "OnlineScanner.cab", click Yes
  • Click Start
    • Note: (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, tick: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan
  • The Onlinescan will now start and scan your pc (this could take a while)
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software, just close the window
  • Click Start >> Run... >> type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The Scanresults will now open in Notepad
  • Click into the text area, right-click and chose "select all" (or use +A)
  • Right-click again and chose "Copy" (or +C)
  • Close/Exit Notepad
  • Navigate to this thread and post your log along with anything else requested from us, by right-clicking and "paste" (or ctrl+v) in the text area of the reply post you just created.
Note: For Vista Users: Eset is compatible but Internet Explorer must be run as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 mark J Chomiczewski

mark J Chomiczewski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Thanks Billy!!

It appeared as if it would work (this program actually launched) but after the Remove Selected files started (about 3-4 minutes in), the program quit and a blue screen with text popped up for about 2 seconds before rebooting. I tried this several times, but each run did it. I could only notice the text "INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT".

What does this mean? Any way around this?

Thanks again for your help. I felt like I was close........

Mark

#4 mark J Chomiczewski

mark J Chomiczewski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

Thanks again Billy.

I had to change ther name of the file to get it to launch, even in safe mode. Here is what I got, ultimately:

GMER 1.0.14.14205 -
Rootkit scan 2008-03-14 21:27:50
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

---- System - GMER 1.0.14 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS ZwQuerySystemInformation [0xF7928194]

---- User code sections - GMER 1.0.14 ----

.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[300] USER32.dll!ReleaseDC 7E41869D 5 Bytes JMP 10002240 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)
.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[300] USER32.dll!EndPaint 7E41B61D 5 Bytes JMP 10002610 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)
.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[300] USER32.dll!SetLayeredWindowAttributes 7E41EDDA 5 Bytes JMP 10002640 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)
.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[300] USER32.dll!UpdateLayeredWindow 7E41F5EB 5 Bytes JMP 100027F0 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)

---- Processes - GMER 1.0.14 ----

Process C:\WINDOWS\system32\braviax.exe (*** hidden *** ) 1900

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.14 ----

Edited by boopme, 14 March 2008 - 11:00 PM.
EDIT out tool URL

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Yikes! mark J Chomiczewski, before following any advice that was not given permission to our 'Trainee - Billy O'Neal'

Please do this:
Download HijackThis™ here:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/th.../hijackthis.php

Click 'Do a System Scan and Save logfile'. If running Vista... Right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator".
The HJT log will open in notepad.

Copy and paste the contents of the HJT log into a NEW TOPIC in "HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 mark J Chomiczewski

mark J Chomiczewski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Whoa....what happened? Are we ok? I just performed Killbox, but it didn;t work. Here is what I got when I re-did Gmer. After that, I downloaded HiJackThis, and it installed, but it would not launch, even in safe mode, and even if I renamed it. What can I do next??:

GMER 1.0.14.14205 -
Rootkit scan 2008-03-14 22:52:49
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

---- System - GMER 1.0.14 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS ZwQuerySystemInformation [0xF78D8194]

---- User code sections - GMER 1.0.14 ----

.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[1120] USER32.dll!ReleaseDC 7E41869D 5 Bytes JMP 10002240 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)
.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[1120] USER32.dll!EndPaint 7E41B61D 5 Bytes JMP 10002610 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)
.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[1120] USER32.dll!SetLayeredWindowAttributes 7E41EDDA 5 Bytes JMP 10002640 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)
.text C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\cohrence.exe[1120] USER32.dll!UpdateLayeredWindow 7E41F5EB 5 Bytes JMP 100027F0 C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\prlhook.dll (Parallels Helper Hook/Parallels Software International, Inc.)

---- Processes - GMER 1.0.14 ----

Process C:\WINDOWS\braviax.exe (*** hidden *** ) 1944

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.14 ----

Mark

Edited by boopme, 14 March 2008 - 11:16 PM.
EDit Tool link

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

Hi sorry for the confuson. You need to post the HiJackThis log as mentioned above.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users