Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Icons Etc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sagedog

Sagedog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

Newbie here requiring assistance please.
On starting my laptop from cold, everything appears to be fine, except that after the password screen, I see my wallpaper and nothing else, i.e. no icons or task bar. I can correct this by opening task manager (ctrl, alt, del) and logging off the user. Then when I re-input my password, my icons etc. re-appear. I assumed this was a registry problem and used a registry cleaner, but there is no change. Do you fine ladies and gentlemen have any suggestions please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

I would check the Task Manager -> Performance tab when you log in from a cold boot. Pay attention to the CPU and PF usage counters.

In my experience, this type of behavior is usually because the OS is loading software settings in the background and will correct if you wait it out. If you see that your CPU usage counter is at 100% after logging in, there are processes loading in the background and your CPU just doesn't have the available resources to load everything instantaneously from a cold boot.

When you log in, the system must load the local security settings, load your profile settings, startup programs, etc. into memory and then process them accordingly. This consumes major resources initially, but once all settings have been loaded into memory and are processing, the resources (namely CPU cycles) will free up and your desktop, taskbar and system tray icons should load.

You can try altering settings in the Performance Options applet which is accessible through the System Applet | Advanced tab. The quickest way to get there is as follows:

Start >> right-click My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced Tab

Click the Settings button in the first section of the applet under Performance. You can adjust the settings in the Visual Effects and Advanced tabs in effort to improve system performance. I would try adjusting the settings for the following:

Visual Effects tab :: Adjust for best performance
Advanced tab :: Processor scheduling -> Adjust for best performance of: Background services
Advanced tab :: Memory usage -> Adjust for best performance of: System cache

Shut down your machine and cold boot. Login, immediately open up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and check the Performance tab to see if there is any noticeable difference in how quickly the desktop, taskbar and system tray load AND if there is any noticeable difference in the CPU and PF Usage counters.

If your CPU Usage counter is still registering at 100% usage at startup, you may have unnecessary services running in the background at login - a sign of possible malware infection OR you may need to upgrade to a computer with a faster CPU. If your PF Usage counter is nearing max capacity, it might be time for a RAM upgrade.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 Sagedog

Sagedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

I would check the Task Manager -> Performance tab when you log in from a cold boot. Pay attention to the CPU and PF usage counters.

In my experience, this type of behavior is usually because the OS is loading software settings in the background and will correct if you wait it out. If you see that your CPU usage counter is at 100% after logging in, there are processes loading in the background and your CPU just doesn't have the available resources to load everything instantaneously from a cold boot.

When you log in, the system must load the local security settings, load your profile settings, startup programs, etc. into memory and then process them accordingly. This consumes major resources initially, but once all settings have been loaded into memory and are processing, the resources (namely CPU cycles) will free up and your desktop, taskbar and system tray icons should load.

You can try altering settings in the Performance Options applet which is accessible through the System Applet | Advanced tab. The quickest way to get there is as follows:

Start >> right-click My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced Tab

Click the Settings button in the first section of the applet under Performance. You can adjust the settings in the Visual Effects and Advanced tabs in effort to improve system performance. I would try adjusting the settings for the following:

Visual Effects tab :: Adjust for best performance
Advanced tab :: Processor scheduling -> Adjust for best performance of: Background services
Advanced tab :: Memory usage -> Adjust for best performance of: System cache

Shut down your machine and cold boot. Login, immediately open up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and check the Performance tab to see if there is any noticeable difference in how quickly the desktop, taskbar and system tray load AND if there is any noticeable difference in the CPU and PF Usage counters.

If your CPU Usage counter is still registering at 100% usage at startup, you may have unnecessary services running in the background at login - a sign of possible malware infection OR you may need to upgrade to a computer with a faster CPU. If your PF Usage counter is nearing max capacity, it might be time for a RAM upgrade.

Thanks for this comprehensive response, I will give this a try.

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

May be simply an Explorer.exe problem.

the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users