Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exclude .dtt Files From Vista System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mike4321

mike4321

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

I have a problem with system restore where it backs up any file with a .dtt extension. I need to prevent system restore from backing up these file because they contain data. If I restore the system to an earlier point, any of the most recent .dtt files are removed. I have tried adding entries to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup in order to exlude a single file or entire folder without any success. I cannot locate the Vista equivalent to the filelist.xml file was is in Windows XP. Does anyone know of any other method to excluding .dtt files from system restores?

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

Is it possible to move them to another directory? System restore mostly deals with C:\Program Files and C:\Windows\System32

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 mike4321

mike4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

Billy,

Unfortunately the files need to be saved in a specific folder. None of the .dtt files are saved in the Program Files or System32 folder. The files are located in C:\Apps\DTT. I have also tested placing .dtt files in several different locations on my system such as the desktop, documents folder and C: but system restore will still backup these files and remove them if the system is restored to an earlier point. Idealy, I was hoping to find the file that contains a list of file types that system restore monitors but have not had any luck as of yet.

Mike.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

See this article:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/18/e...system-restore/

Does that solve your problem?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 mike4321

mike4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

Billy,

Unfortunately, I have already tried the registry mentioned on the site that you had posted and it does not work. I tried excluding the entire contents of the folder and even added an entry pointing directly to the file but system restore system will still backup these files.

Thanks,
Mike

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

I don't know if anyone has accomplished this yet - but you'd have to delve deep into the System Restore and Volume Shadow Copy properties to do this. I'd suggest looking over at this site: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html or at the site he uses for support here: http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=54
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

Sorry, your first post has the wrong registry key listed.

The last entry is "FilesNotToSnapshot", not "FilesNotToBackup".

If that does not work, than I dont know.

You could just turn system protection off....

Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users