Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Has 2 Video Cards..

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

I purchased this computer from someone, and shortly after he purchased it, he put in it a 2nd video card, so that he could run 2 monitors. However, a few months ago, the 2nd monitor quit working. I have reduced to one, since that time. However, I was wanting to go back to 2 monitors. I assume, because the 2nd monitor worked on the first video card, that the video card was bad.

Is there a way to check and see if it wasn't just a software issue? Are video cards expensive?

Also, this video card had what appeared to be a SCSI plug on it, and he gave me a VGA-SCSI adapter to put on the end of my monitor. Does the new video card have to have a SCSI plug on it?

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

SCSI does not do video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scsi

Can you switch the monitors so that each goes to the opposite video card?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

It has been several months, but, I am sure that I did this. I'll try it later today. I dont' recall it working.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:46 AM

Then it probably is the card. As far as how expensive.... it depends on a lot of things. A cheapy VGA card with no 3D support will probably run you ~20-30 dollars. The highest end cards can run into the 6-7 hundred dollar range.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

All I want is a 2nd monitor to be able to have documents on while I am working on my main screen. I then assume a cheapie would be a good one. Can I get a regular VGA card?
Jeremy

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

It might just be a driver or software problem?

If we knew the computer make/model or motherboard and the type and model of the extra video we could investigate?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Assuming the graphics card is your problem, yes, a cheapie VGA model will do ya fine.

Billy3
Posted Image

#8 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

It can't be just any card. Depending on whether its ATI or nVidia it has to be either SLi or Crossfire able. If you are going to continue using SLi/Xfire you really should use the same card. that's the bridge you have set up that you thought was a SCSI. I wouldn't just assume its bad tho, I'd just hook both monitors to one card and disable SLi/Xfire with whatever software you have to control it with. that will most likely work for you. I'm pretty sure i read something about SLi not working with dual monitors, but my motherboard only has the 1 PCIe so i never really got into learning about it. read around is my best advice.

The SLi connector looks like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...2-AR+Video+Card
For some reason the image went back to the base of the card, click the 4th image to see what i mean
If the card you buy doesn't have that then you're wasting your time/money

Edited by smurfgod, 14 March 2008 - 10:10 AM.

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

@smurfgod
Please read the first post. We are not running SLI/X-Fire here. We simply want 2 monitors.

OP is also not gaming, which means any cheapy card will work.

Billy3
Posted Image

#10 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

I had a long reply all typed out, but arguing with you is stupid and pointless. So I'll just say if i'm right he can fix it by reading my original post. If not then he can ignore it and move on with his life. but the way he described the connection between them i'm pretty damn sure i'm not wrong. have a nice day.

#11 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

I have an older machine with 1 agp video card and 1 pci card running 2 different monitors. In addition, Jeremy James already had this type of setup.

Might I also add that I have done that since Windows 95.

Advising purchase of a several hundred dollar graphics card.
There is also no way Jeremy James has an SLI/X-Fire setup, because in that case both cards would fail, not just one.

Remember SLI/Crossfire is only about 2 years old. We have had dual monitor setups far longer.

Billy3
Posted Image

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

Well...you can always buy a video card with 2-monitor support. There's no need for two separates, although that does work.

My ATI 9600 (and other cards) offer dual-monitor support.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=v...monitor+support

Louis

#13 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

Most modern cards in the 60-100 dollar range have two outputs. . .They'd work fine for you and probably boost performance as well.

Posted Image

#14 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:09 AM

Well, the card does have the Dual Video Connector on the SLI card that smurf was talking about. However, if I am reading correctly, I can just go purchase 1 card, and that 1 card can handle both monitors at once? Will I have to do any software changes, or would it just default work?

Jeremy

#15 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

Let me also ask this... I believe that someone hinted about using the 1 video card for both monitors. I was looking around on ebay and saw a VGA splitter. Would that work? As of now, the computer still thinks I have the 2nd monitor going on (i.e., I can drag stuff to and from that screen,) so, can I get Mr. Computer to put out both outputs through one card?

Are those splitters typically available through your Best Buy and Circuit City?

Thank you again so much.

Jeremy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users