Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary Windows User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kyuukisan

kyuukisan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

I have XP home. My CPU has two HDD. One is used for storage. The other has my OS and windows user acconts. When my wife logs on to her user account she can't see her documents in her My documents window. I navigate to D: \ Documents&Settings and see a list of folders ( the users). Administrator, All Users, Me, Kids, Sister, Wife, Wife.temp, Wife.temp(2)..I need help understanding why the Wife.temp folders are being created and what I should do about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

WAG would be corrupt user profile/account.

Have you tried creating a new one?

You might take a look at a couple of these links: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=t...y+user+accounts

Louis

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

You might need to re-create your wife's user account and profile; sounds like there may be some corruption with the registry settings or with the profile itself. This can occur if the machine was not shut down properly while that user was logged in, or if the machine froze up while the user was logged in. At any rate, you probably want to create a new user account and just copy the profile settings over from the old user account. Then you can safely delete these temporary profiles and folders in Documents and Settings.

Refer to my post below for information on renaming user accounts and copying profiles.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136197/change-the-account-names-in-documents-settings/
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 kyuukisan

kyuukisan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

habuls and Cyb3r Thank you. Should I be concerned that a virus caused this issue. I hae allready cleaned my system.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

Well...did anything work to resolve it?

I didn't read all links applicable to temporary accounts, but I saw no mention of spyware as being the cause of such. But, with malware, anything is always a possibility.

I never assume that malware is the cause of my system problems...I take measures to eliminate that from consideration. If I did think my system ever became infected...I would just do a clean install, otherwise I could never be sure that it was not infected and would tend to blame every wrong mouse-click and error that I make...on malware.

But that's just the way that I look at things...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users