Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protection Method Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ajr2764

ajr2764

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:22 AM

Hi guys. I wanna ask to you'll think having Norton 360 alone installed on your pc is effective in blocking threats. what are the pros and cons of using norton 360. I also do some work on pc's for people every now and then, and would like to become more knowledgeable bout the subject.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

Norton products are often notorious recource hogs (like McAfee and Trend Micro) and is quiet irritating to remove. So I guess thats a con.

A pro is that you have a very easy to use security suite :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 V e g e t a

V e g e t a

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

I have norton internet security and i don't notice its even running.

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

ajr2764 wrote:
Hi guys. I wanna ask to you'll think having Norton 360 alone installed on your pc is effective in blocking threats. what are the pros and cons of using norton 360. I also do some work on pc's for people every now and then, and would like to become more knowledgeable bout the subject.

Two weaknesses of Norton 360 are:
1- doesn't support Firefox or Opera browsers
2- doesn't include wireless security tools

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

I guess I have the equivalent of Norton 360 through my ISP at no extra cost. I wouldn't pay extra for it. Norton has blocked threats but no one application is going to pick up everything. So it's worth having some additional on demand spyware scanners regardless. I have Windows Defender which doesn't do much of anything but doesn't hurt anything either and Spyware Blaster for real time protection. I also use AVG Anti Spyware & Super Anti Spyware as on demand scanners. I run them weekly and Norton also scans weekly. AVG & SAS have found stuff recently. AVG snagged a trojan called KillAV last week and SAS has picked up a couple of things over the last month. And I don't have what I would describe as unsafe surfing habits. These days you'll get attacked by just being online.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

personally I would NOT install Norton on my computers , nor recommend it to anyone either ( I think it 'reputation' is well known)

you should have only ONE installed antivirus program on board

plus a healthy variety of spyware junk finding programs

but these must all be compatible with one's windows version

(you have to be 'selective' where 'compatibilities' are concerned )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users