Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ajr2764

ajr2764

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:11 AM

Hello, i'm new here. I'm pretty knowledgable bout pc's...I've had my home network setup for a long time now. There's 2 desktops and now a laptop. Linksys wireless g. A few months ago something happened it seems. My computer is hardwired to the router while every other pc is wireless. I cannot see other pcs on my network, but when i access those pc's i can see mines. I'm also sharing a printer thats hooked up to that other pc, which of course since then i cannot print to. I had read up on a whole bunch of tricks and things like ping, netbios...nothing still so i gave up on it. If anyone has any suggestions i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:36 AM

Where are you going to look for the other PC's on your network?

I am assuming that all computers that are hooked up to your router are setup in a workgroup network configuration. If this is the case, the easiest way to look for computers on your local network is to use My Network Places. Power on all computers and log in a user account on all. Once all machines are on and are registering their IP addresses and network identification (takes place during boot and authentication), do the following:

Start >> My Computer >> My Network Places >> click the Folders button >> expand Entire Network >> expand Microsoft Windows Network >> click the appropriate Workgroup (default is WORKGROUP)

If all machines involved on your local network are in the default WORKGROUP, they should appear in the right hand pane when you click the Workgroup. If you do not see a specific computer appear in the window, you will want to check the System applet on all machines and ensure that they are working with similar configurations. Open the System applet and navigate to the Computer Name tab as follows:

Start >> right-click My Computer >> Properties >> Computer Name tab OR Start >> Control Panel >> System >> Computer Name tab

Click the Change button and view the information that appears in the Computer Name Change applet. Specifically we are looking for the Member of: information. Ensure that all machines contain the same workgroup information. If the workgroups are not consistent amongst all machines, that may be why you can't see one of the machines. If all looks good here, then we can check the IP configuration information on all machines by running the ipconfig /all command at the Command Prompt as follows:

Start >> Run >> cmd >> press [Enter] >> type ipconfig /all >> press [Enter]

You will want to pay attention to the following information:
:: DHCP Enabled {yes | no}
:: IP Address
:: Subnet Mask
:: Default Gateway
:: DHCP Server
:: DNS Servers
:: WINS Servers (may not apply)

Remember to run this command on ALL machines, this will ensure network consistency amongst all machines. Your Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP Server, DNS Servers, and WINS Servers (if applicable) should be consistent throughout all machines on your local network. Once you have the IP Address on all your machines, try pinging all other networked machines from each machine to determine if they are able to communicate with each other by doing the following:

Start >> Run >> cmd >> press [Enter] >> type ping %ipaddress_PC2% >> press [Enter]

Where %ipaddress_PC2% is the IP Address on the PC you are trying to ping collected from the ipconfig /all command run on PC2. Repeat this process to verify that all machines are able to send a ping and receive a response to / from each other PC on your network.

Try those steps and post back for additional advice. When you post back, include the output collected from the ipconfig /all command for all networked PCs. This information will help to determine where the communication failure on your network lies.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 ajr2764

ajr2764
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the response. I have ensured that both pcs are on the same work grouped called MSHOME. I ran ipconfig on both machines dhcp is enabled on both. TCP/IP is enabled over netbios on both. All info matches subnet, default gateway, dhcp, dns servers....I tried to ping and got a request timed out from both machines i tried to ping from. As of right now pc2 can still see pc1 and access files. PC1 still no ability to see other cpu.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

Few more things to check in additions to the writeup by Cyb3r_Ninj@:
1) Is the router blocking it perhaps? In Linksys routers you can check whether all computers are visible, I think it's on the Status > Devices tab.
2) Are you using a firewall that might be blocking response to ping even from the computers on your own, allowed,LAN?
3) Is the Workstation service running on all computers?
4) Is the TCP/IP NetBios helper service running on all computers? (I think it's needed for resolving computer names, may be unrelated to ping)
5) Could it be an account permission issue, though I doubt it since it fails simple pings. Usually file sharing fails on this one, ping should not.
6) Is the Guest account permitted on all the computers (if XP)? again this should not be relevant to pings, just file sharing.
7) Can every computer go out to the internet without any problems?
8) In the router, are you filtering MAC addresses, and if yes, are all the wireless MACs entered there?
9) in the TCP/IP properties of the wireless adapter have you enabled Client for Microsoft Networks and filesharing (if needed).
Normally it's off for security reasons when wireless. I can always ping each computer from every other, but unless I do (9) wired computer can't see wireless computer and wireless can't see wired in the Computers near me or Network neighborhood or Microsoft Windows Network\Workgroup even though they can ping each other just fine. But, again, this is filesharing type of thing I think, since windows explorer is involved.

Edited by tos226, 14 March 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#5 ajr2764

ajr2764
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

In response to you tos226:

1) can't find where to access any settings for the router we thought maybe somehow the router is blocking, but that would only apply to outgoing traffic, because pc2 can see pc2 (the wired pc).

2) no firewall installed that i know of, would there be one with the wireless adapter that is on pc2? In my network connections i had the ICH enabled but then even disable it on both machines. Right now both pc's have it on but still pc2 can see pc1 regardless.

3) workstation service running on both pc's.

4) Enabled as well

5) no restrictions set on the pc's both pcs are logged in as administrators.

6) guest account is disabled on both pc's.

7)all computers can go to internet perfectly

8) again not sure how to see any router settings?

9) client for microsoft enable on both pc's and file sharing

Wired PC#1: cant ping, cant see shared files folder, can see pc#2 as part of the same workgroup, access denied when i try to open in workgroup view.

Wireless PC#2: cant ping pc#1, but can access the share files folder on pc#1. It can ping a third pc on the network which is my fathers vista laptop, but cant see any files.

Thanks for assistance.

#6 ajr2764

ajr2764
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:32 AM

I have an update. I saw dat under folder options that an option for file sharing was off i enable it, but still no results. I examined all the shared folders and addresses i deleted them and reran the network setup wizards on both machines. Pc#2 can still access the shared folder from pc#1, and now i can also ping it. Under PC#1 ive tried to add a new network place, i got the exact address to the shared folders which is valid, but windows keeps saying its not valid. when you click on the pcs from the workgroup list, pc#1 has addressses to shares and printers, but pc#2 has nothing only belongs to the workgroup. This is a very crazy and frustrating deal, been racking my brain for quite some time.

#7 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

ajr2764:

In order to configure your router, the easiest method is the GUI interface, which is accessible via HTTP. Run the ipconfig /all command on any of your PCs that are able to connect to the Internet. This is the key, you must have Internet access in order to use the HTTP GUI interface.

If any of your PCs, comes up with an IP address in the 169.254.0.0-169.255.255.255 range will have Limited or No Connectivity and you may or may not be able to send traffic over HTTP. These addresses are referred to as APIPA addresses, and you can read more about them here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133029/ip-address-problem/

At any rate, the information returned from the ipconfig /all command that is going to help you is the Default Gateway IP address. Think of a Default Gateway as synonymous with a Router. This is the doorway for your computer to access the Internet via the protocols, hardware and software that allows you to send/receive signals over the network. Following this logic, the IP address of a Default Gateway will refer to the IP address of the box acting as the doorway to the promised land - or Internet / WWW.

Most Linksys Routers will register a Default Gateway address of 192.168.1.1. But no matter what the IP address is, that is the key to the doorway. You want to plug that IP address for your Default Gateway into the Address / URL lookup bar in your Web Browser. Therefore, you are going to run the ipconfig /all command, record that Default Gateway IP address, and plug that into your Web Browser's Address / URL lookup bar in the following format:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ex. http://192.168.1.1)

This is going to use HTTP protocol to access the Web Interface of the hardware device with IP address 192.168.1.1. This will give you control of your Router (Default Gateway) through the HTTP protocol, in a GUI format, allowing you to exercise control over the hardware device that connects you to the Internet. There may be a username and password which you need to know in order to get access to this GUI interface. This will be evident by the Secondary Login prompt you will receive asking for a username / password combination to access the HTTP page located at the IP address returned.

Check into this and then post feedback for additional advice.

Happy hacking!!!
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#8 ajr2764

ajr2764
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

Okay thanks, I've remember doing that for someone else before, but I must have changed the default settings...and dont remember what I put, so I'll reset the router, even though I dont feel like redoing the settings. i'll get back to you, what settings and options are available after I do get in there that I could check relating to the issue i'm having.

Thanks.

#9 matrix88

matrix88

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Hi , I have a similar problem. Seems like it happen after I installed XP SP2 on both pc. I have PC#1 on XP Pro and PC#2 on XP Home. I tried to ping from PC#1 to PC#2, it is OK but when I use the search function in pc#1, it can find PC#2 shared folder but I could not open. Error message is \\pc#2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the resource. Contact Administrator.
Vice-versa , I ping from pc#2 to pc#1 but got time out error.
Zonealarm for PC#1 have been uninstalled and Norton firewall is disable too.
I am using Linksys router too and internet connection thru individual pc is ok.

What could be my problem here? Thanks alot.

Edited by matrix88, 19 March 2008 - 10:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users