Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lostcodefor originalWin98on thisoldAptiva

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 baffledagin

baffledagin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:29 PM

I crashed thisold IBMAptiva I have with originalWin98, andforgot I needed the code - clean and throw fiends in the family tossed the computer book with the code on it, nothing on the restore disk that looks like it, or do I have that wrong? Is there a source for the accursed to recover this thing without replacing the hard drive, buying a new OS - basically junking it and starting over? Inquiring minds wanna know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:00 PM

You can try several things. 1) Will the system come up at all ? If so do the following...
>START
>RUN
>REGEDIT
>HKey_local_Machine
>software
>Microsoft
>windows
>current version (On this do not expand just click on the folder)
scroll down to "Product Key"

2) If just the OS is damaged take the drive out and put it in another computer to retrieve the Product Key .

3) Here is where you panic . Go to EBay and hope you can find a cheap copy of 98 sorry .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:01 PM

Will it run at all? It's a bit difficult to find the key if you can't start it.

What are the symptoms? Can you start the computer in DOS and revert to an earlier copy of the registry? Do you have a boot disk?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

If he can boot to safe mode it will only take 30 sec. to get to the Key . He said it crashed but I was hoping for his sake he could boot up one more time .

acklan

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

If you can boot into safe mode just right click My Computer, select Properties and the key is on the General tab.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:47 AM

If you can boot into safe mode just right click My Computer, select Properties and the key is on the General tab.

That's not the key, Leurgy.

Get Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to check your key and you'll see they don't match.

The Windows key is in five groups of five characters.

Keyfinder

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

Well thats where my key is on this 98 machine. Tried Keyfinder and it came back as not supported.

Also an OEM licence will be in a numbers-OEM-numbers-numbers format.

Edited by Leurgy, 18 March 2005 - 12:25 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:03 PM

#####-OEM-#######-##### __ Product ID
# & letter mix-# & letter mix-# & letter mix-# & letter mix-# & letter mix __ Product Key

Everest Home Edition will give you both, and a whole lot more.
Product ID, and KEY are under Operating System / Operating System
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:26 PM

With all do respect . I think the path I laid out is simple and proable by the time you install the program you would be to the key and the rest of the MS INFO about windows . To each his own .

acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users