Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mj918

mj918

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

Hi you all, I've been re-directed from highjackthis log forum because after one of the group moderators examine my log and didn't find any malware or any trojan horses infections in my pc, he thinks it maybe something to do with a driver issue, here is my problem;
When ever I open windows and if I have to open any document be it my pictures or my documents and if I right click on it I get this message saying windows explorer has encounter a problem and it needs to close, then I get a Dr. Watson postmortem debugger saying it has encounter a problem and it needs to close, sorry for the inconvenience, after that my pc freezes up and nothing works I would have to click Ctrl>Alt>delete, bring up task manager and do a restart from there and after a long wile it would work, again I thought it had something to do with some sort of virus or something related but I have scan my pc with antivirus,malware,spyware,spybot,rogue remover and highjackthis programs and nothing has come up yet, so this is why I've been re-directed to this forum.

If you have any ideas please help!

thanx mj918

:thumbsup:
Sincerely;

mj918

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dotservant.com

dotservant.com

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

I have not experience this before, bud did a bid of research for you and looks like this thread might help you out :-

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-144104.php

#3 mj918

mj918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

thank you dotservant.com for your help, i'll try it.
Sincerely;

mj918

#4 Riaan Roux

Riaan Roux

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:20 AM

Have you tried this in SafeMode? If the behaviour is the same you might be looking at a damaged/corrpted system file(s). Try a "sfc /scannow" from the Run command (have you XP CD ready). Takes a while, but should correct system file problems. While in SafeMode you might as well run a "chkdsk /f" to exclude drive corruption.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on the boot partition/drive?

No error messages or clues in Event Viewer?

Any indication of overheating? Dust cleaned out of system? Fans working properly?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#6 mj918

mj918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

to; Ryan Roux and hamluis, no I have not try it in safe mode but I will try it and see the behavior, should I do the scandisk in safe mode as well? and as far as free space in the partition drive I have no clue but I just install a new memory ram of 512mb making a total of 1gb but it only shows in the system properties 760 mb of ram. ( this is a old pc, at least 5 years old) but I've been installing all the windows updates. when I installed the memory stick I cleaned the system with a vacum but the problem was present before installing the ram memory.
Sincerely;

mj918

#7 mj918

mj918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

The thread dotservant.com sent me it had a few more links relating to this problem and one of them suggests that it has to do with DivX movie viewer as an incompatible Context-menu handler from DivX. but the thing is that mine is a new release updated version of divX, but I'll look into it, the thread is; (if you care to look it up and comment on it)

http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

Edited by mj918, 14 March 2008 - 09:06 PM.

Sincerely;

mj918

#8 mj918

mj918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

well here i am almost a week since my last post and I still haven't been able to isolate the problem, I have done just about everything suggested from all of this posts and the problem still present, the only thing I haven't done is isolate the problem with ShellExView because I don't feel confident as to which extension i have to disable or delete and it's a very long proses which I started doing but I had to stop after disabling a few extensions because I was affraid I'll mess it up even more, so it's there any more suggestions? here is what I have done so far;
>deleted DivX programs (one of the members suggested of doing),
>deleted all of the suspicious files, from add install programs,(found a program called frezze.com which was hard to removed) don't know what program was for.
>tried it in safe mode and disable extensions in ShellExView,
Ran malware,spyware,antivirus,roguefile remover,spybot search and dsestroy and so far I have come up empty, the last option is to wipe the hard drive but that's the very last option.
If any of you have or have had the same problem and have found a solution other than all the things I have done, please help, I'm gettinfgvery frustrated. thanks, mj
Sincerely;

mj918

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

Check Event Viewer for clues (errors that coincide with the freezes)?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

If you think it's a program/device driver situation...what is that based on? I don't recall seeing an error message posted that would turn my thoughts in that direction.

Unless you've read something where someone has exactly the same situation as yours...I think you should be reluctant to jump at "answers" just because you think they might be.

Louis

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

I looked at your log several days ago and saw some potential conflicts, not knowing any more about the history of the installed and uninstalled programs or even any history of past malware infections?

2 active antivirus programs is a cardinal sin

those active indexing components were not a good sign either

I would need to take a long look at that extra 512 megs of ram you added?

make and model of computer?

Edited by DaChew, 19 March 2008 - 04:45 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 mj918

mj918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hey Chewy, kinda scary avatar you got there, anyway I have deleted one of the antivirus programs I've always knew that could be a potential problem and the ram I installed I would have to look it up but the thing is that the problem was already there way before the ram was installed and as far as the active indexing I don't know where would I find it or where did you see it, can you tell me where it is?

the pc model is the following;

AMD Athlon with a windows XP Home Edition (SP2 downloaded from microsoft updates),

768 mb of ram (added 512 about a month ago) although under System Properties shows 760mb of ram (why the difference?).

* 512MB (Size)
* PC133 - 133mhz (Speed) works at PC100 if needed.
* 64x64 (Made with 32x8Bit STANDARD BUILD/HIGHEST COMPATIBILITY ---IF YOUR DESKTOP TAKES 512MB PC133 SDRAM MEMORY PER SLOT, this will work.
* Un-buffered
* Non-Registered
* 168Pin (SDRAM DESKTOP MEMORY)
* Non ECC
* 6 Layered PCB (Highest Quality for Lowest Signal Noise = Best Performance)
* SPECTEK BRAND (HI-QUALITY, NAME BRAND MEMORY)

1.05 Ghz Athlon/Duron CPU

40 gb hard drive

Hope this helps.

mj
Sincerely;

mj918

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

Do you have the option to run windows as a repair disk from a real xp cd?

Clean install may be a last resort but you have gotten to that door it would seem.

That old computer can barely handle low footprint protections much less too many heavy ones, antimalware programs in the wrong combination with a lot of junk can kill an OS as quickly and surely as malware.

After 5 years a computer has entered the age of obsolescence, you wouldn't ask your poor old grandmother to do a young man's work load?

A one gigahertz cpu is not really up to the task of coping with all these new programs

It's a have your cake and eat it too problem.

Edited by DaChew, 20 March 2008 - 07:00 PM.

Chewy

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

Now I am really going to drive a point home, windows xp's minimum reccomended video memory is 16 megs, after adjusting for best performance(turning off the eye candy) it does quite well with that or 32 megs.

Onboard video memory is cruddy, you evidently only have 8 megs?
Chewy

#14 mj918

mj918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

I beg to differ, I think if you keep up with all the microsoft updates, defrag often, clean your history, have a good antivirus protection and monitor who uses your pc, even if is an old machine you can have running almost like new, remember the problem I have only started about a month ago, and it's from a program that is already install in the OS (Dr. Watson Debugger) As long as you don't multitask or use it for high end games as well. Ofcourse its' not going to compete with a high end machine but it'll do the job. check the following links.

http://www.crucial.com/support/howmuch.aspx

http://ask-leo.com/how_much_memory_do_i_re...windows_xp.html
Sincerely;

mj918

#15 mj918

mj918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

By the way I have made some progress, I don't have the problem in my profile anymore I've notice i'ts now only in my son's profile that freezes up, so I think I'm in the right path.

Dotservant.com sent me a good link where a lot people are having the same problem and it appears that its after they have downloaded SP2, so if any of you out there have had the same problem and have come up with positive results, I'm all ears.

mj918

Edited by mj918, 21 March 2008 - 10:06 PM.

Sincerely;

mj918

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users