Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help I Cant Download Any Antivirus Protection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 plove79

plove79

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Hello all Im new to this site.....

Im a beginner when it comes to computers and I really need help. There is something on my computer that is preventing me from downloading just about everything. I tried to download AVG, Adv-ware 2007, I have cleaned my temporary internet folder .( So I think) As soon as I download for example AVG and try to fun it I get a error message and it closes. Housecall trend micro did a scan but froze and closed at finding vulnerables. I wasnt able to run spybot, I couldnt even open Hijack this. Just says so and so has encountered a problem.....Please someone help me nothing from the preparation guide would work. Again I am a beginner and I would really greatly appreciate it if someone would take the time to walk me through step by step removal of whatever has corrupted my PC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

Hello, plove79.

Housecall is a hunk of junk that likes to freeze at every waking moment. Lets try another scan:
Please go to ESET OnlineScan (NOD32)
  • You will then see the Terms of Use, tick the check-box infront of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start
  • Should you face a Security Warning that asks if you want to install and run a file called "OnlineScanner.cab", click Yes
  • Click Start
    • Note: (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, tick: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan
  • The Onlinescan will now start and scan your pc (this could take a while)
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software, just close the window
  • Click Start >> Run... >> type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The Scanresults will now open in Notepad
  • Click into the text area, right-click and chose "select all" (or use <Control>+A)
  • Right-click again and chose "Copy" (or <Control>+C)
  • Close/Exit Notepad
  • Navigate to this thread and post your log along with anything else requested from us, by right-clicking and "paste" (or ctrl+v) in the text area of the reply post you just created.
Note: For Vista Users: Eset is compatible but Internet Explorer must be run as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)

Make sure you post the Nod32 log as a reply.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

Have your tried downloading anything from another computer, saving to a usb/flash drive and transferring to your pc, then install?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for the info.....forgive me if this is a stupid question by you said you couldnt reply here any more.....why? did this post get moved to "moderators" ?? Not sure but I cant even click on that link.....to run the scan something is really messing with my system.....gonna try and restart my pc and log in again( not saying that will help but) just gonna try..........

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

Sorry for any confusion plove79. This is a staff issue. Please perform the Eset scan and post back with the results.

#6 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

This is all that was the test showed....thanks again for all your help please advise of next step

# version=4
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.635
# OnlineScannerDLLA.dll=1, 0, 0, 79
# OnlineScannerDLLW.dll=1, 0, 0, 78
# OnlineScannerUninstaller.exe=1, 0, 0, 49
# vers_standard_module=2949 (20080315)
# vers_arch_module=1.064 (20080214)
# vers_adv_heur_module=1.064 (20070717)
# EOSSerial=7563a37ef0dbe64eb45ddc34ca0ce1d0
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# utc_time=2008-03-15 03:21:28
# local_time=2008-03-15 11:21:28 (-0500, Eastern Daylight Time)
# country="United States"
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 2
# scanned=433736
# found=1
# scan_time=2863
C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL Win32/Adware.MyWaySpeed application (unable to clean - deleted (after the next restart)) 00000000000000000000000000000000

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

http://help.myway.com/features/speedbar.html

that may be broken now, whether for good or bad seems open to debate tho

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

have you gone thru this excellent checklist?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

again thanks for all the help....as a beginner in safemode w/networking im unable to run antivirus what adjustment to my administrator privileges do I need make to unrestrict the running avg for example...after downloading in safemode the install of avg won't complete says you cannot do in safemode.....please advise

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

You have to install in normal mode and update

then reboot into safe mode for a scan if necessary

under no circumstances use anything but the F8 method for getting into safe mode
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

I just tried to install in AVG in normal mode......internet explorer just closes after I try to download the protection then it will not allow me to open IE or Mozilla and then I have to restart my pc just to open a browser........

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Please see the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install the current version of HJT in the proper location.) If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users