Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade A Compaq Armada E500 Notebook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 serious_blonde

serious_blonde

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

I have a compaq armada E500 notebook Model 05BC that has 256 ram and 2 slots available (SIW) and CPU Intel Mobile Pentium 3 Codename: CopperMine.
How do I dismantle this laptop and check if it is upgradeable? I have upgraded a desktop computer and am currently studying IT so have a reasonable knowledge base.
Guidance and/or direction would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

That computer originally came with a 12GB hdd which means that there a likely to be limitations for up grading to a larger hdd. The max RAM that you can use in that computer is 512MB, 2 x 256MB, and because of the age I'm guessing that it's either PC100 or PC133. This puppy is going to be slow even if you max out the RAM. That CPU is 700MHz.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 serious_blonde

serious_blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

Thank you for your opinion. I agree that it is a bit of a dinosaur. Things go out of date so quickly in computer world.

Ok I gathered that after dismantling it and talking to my local computer shop - so do you think its worthwhile to upgrade the ram to 512Mb and leave the HD and CPU as is? Its not a primary notebook, more for taking notes at college.

One question -when putting the ram back in their respective slots how do you get the levers to lift up - squeeze in or out? I'm having success with neither.

Cheers :thumbsup:

PS Ram problem resolved. I've put it all together again - now delete button doesnt work but everything else is good. might look for more ram ie 2x 256 of SDRAM on ebay.
Thanks

Edited by serious_blonde, 14 March 2008 - 07:09 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

If you are going to buy RAM from ebay find out the make and model of the module/s that you are interested and go to that manufacturer's web site and make sure that it is compatible with your machine. Also make sure that it is guaranteed to be working.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 serious_blonde

serious_blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

If anyone has working PC100-222-620 32M x 64pin SDRAM x 2 for a Compaq Armada E500 notebook please let me know.
Cheers

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:55 AM

You should be able to use PC133 as well, it should clock down to the PC100.

#7 serious_blonde

serious_blonde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

Thank you Mr dc3 - you are very knowledgeable - thank you for sharing it.
Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users