Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question On C Drive...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Smile

Iron Smile

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

If you right click on the C Drive, and go to properties, it has a little thing at the bottom that says compress drive to save dick space.

I was wondering if it would hurt to click it? Cause i need some space on my c drive, but i dont know what else to do.

What all does compressing it do? Does it hurt the computer or anything i have?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

It won't hurt anything, but the it will slow it down a bit. It's been around for quite awhile so it's fairly stable. That said, I'd only recommend it for a disk that has fairly stable contents, and doesn't get read from alot. Why not just buy a big disk and add it to your system?

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

Compressing C: won't hurt anything, but like Baric said it will slow things down. Typically, it isn't recommended to compress drives that are used a great deal. On most Windows systems, the C: drive is used nearly constantly. If you're running low on space, some preferable steps are:

1. Adding another drive.
2. Selectively compressing files and folders that you don't use often (do not compress anything unless you know what it is.)
3. Delete old files you don't need and/or uninstall programs you don't need.
4. Move files and folders you don't need very often, but want to keep, onto a removable disk (like a CD/DVD-RW, ZIP drive, USB Flash drive, etc.)

You could also get a good compression utility (I like WinRAR) and start packing stuff into archives.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

Another option would be to store information that you don't use on a regular basis on CDs or DVDs to free up more space.

AA...you were fast on the draw, this time.

Edited by dc3, 13 March 2008 - 10:21 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Iron Smile

Iron Smile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:26 AM

ok thanks guys. my uncle recomended adding another drive, but the ones he showed me was over $100, and thats a bit to high for me. i'll have to save up for one tho.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

Worth a look, IMO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....e=%2425+-+%2450

Of course, it all depends on size of drive more than anything these days.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users