Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building New Pc Having Major Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 navspice

navspice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

I'm new here and in need of some help. I recently purchased parts for a new PC from Newegg. Here is my list:

1- Antec Sonata III 500 Black Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811129024

1-mushkin4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820146693

1-ABIT IP35 Pro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813127030

1-EVGA GeForce 6200LE TC 256-P2-N297-LX Video Card
Item #:N82E16814130310

1-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
Item #:N82E16819115017

I already had a pair of Maxtor Sata hard drives and a DVD drive.

I received all of this and began putting it all together. Once complete, I fired it up and immediately noticed that the system would just shut off at random within the first 1-5 minutes of being powered on. I began pulling devices off such as the DVD-ROM and the Hard Drives. I removed one of the sticks of RAM. Still no luck. I swapped power supplies, I tried everything in a different case, I even tried removing everything but the Power Supply and the Motherboard and it still happened. Then I decided that the Motherboard was bad so I swapped it for another. Same thing. Then I decided it had to be the CPU. Swapped it and still the same thing. I give up at this point. Please help if possible. I'm very close to returning everything to Newegg and going with something else.

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

I am just a beginner, But just to throw some things out there.....

did you put good paste on the CPU, are all the jumpers set right and is the bios set up right for the ram and the CPU??

Just a few things off the top of my head.

#3 navspice

navspice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for responding. I too am a beginner or at least I have only built one PC before.

1. Did you get good past on the CPU?
I didn't put any extra paste on the CPU. This was them Retail version of the CPU so it included a fan with paste already on it. I'm not overclocking so I didn't see any reason to add more paste.

2. Are all the jumpers set right?
As far as I can tell yes. I have poured over the manual time and time again and everything looks good. This particular MB didn't require any jumpers to be set. All I needed was the default settings for everything.

3. Is the Bios setup right for ram and CPU?
This one is a bit confusing. Does this really matter? Basically, I can boot into the Bios Setup screen and technically it should just sit there until I either make changes or do something else. However, if I just boot the machine, go into Bios, and wait without touching a thing, it will (within 1-5 minutes) power down.

Thanks again for the response.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

exactly what other powersupply did you try?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...False&Page=

Edited by DaChew, 13 March 2008 - 09:07 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 navspice

navspice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

I went to Best Buy and purchased the exact same power supply.. Antec Earthwatts 500. I also tried a cheap 350W power supply I had from an old PC.

Thanks

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

A mistake I made while building my computer (it ended up frying my motherboard, but thank god for neweggs excellent service to get a replacement) was that I hadn't put the little copper standoffs between the case and motherboard. this was causing the metal from the case to short out the motherboard.

Also, it could be your processor overheating. If you can get into the bios for a couple minutes, see if you can find cpu temperature. If your over 50C and your only idling at the bios I would be a little worried. If the temperature gets over around 70C, most motherboards have a safety shut down feature. My friend had a problem with his build that was similar. It just kept turning off. So we found out his cpu temp was too high and he went out and bought new thermal paste. He cleaned off the old stuff then put a very small amount of the new on. this lowered his temperatures by a lot! Even if you don't get overheating problems, this is a smart idea, because the paste that comes on the processor is usually not very good and they put it on sloppy.

Hopefully this helps you out!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

I am just thinking that if the board is set up (default) with the thermal protection set to on that you might just be getting enough heat to make the protection turn the PC off....

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

If I run into something like this I set the mobo on top of the box on foam and benchtest just with power supply, cpu, vid card and ram, I start the computer by shorting the power on connectors

Edited by DaChew, 13 March 2008 - 09:25 PM.

Chewy

#9 navspice

navspice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

Ok... thanks for all of the replies. This is definitely a heat issue.. My MB has a setting that shuts down the PC if the CPU hits 85 degrees Celsius. I let the PC sit for about 15 minutes and powered it up and checked the temp in the bios and it was already at 82 degrees Celsius. I guess my question here is, how is that possible? Did I install the fan wrong? At work we have a similar setup without using any special paste and it is working fine. This has to be something I am doing.. Perhaps the fan is installed wrong? Is that possible?

Thanks

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

This was them Retail version of the CPU so it included a fan with paste already on it.

ohoh, did you peel off the thin layer of plastic protecting the heat compund?
Chewy

#11 navspice

navspice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

Yes this was removed. The only thing in between the HeatSink and the CPU is some factory paste.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

I guess you could have the hsf mounted wrong, does it seem firm?

are the fan blades spinning fast?

might be a bad fan, that cpu is a regular heater, 75 is the top temperature for reline

that's why it's shutting down on you

bios at defaults?
Chewy

#13 navspice

navspice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:31 PM

Bios is at defaults. What does reline mean? Sorry if I should know that. The fan could be loose but it's hard to say for sure... It feels secure to me but if I give it a good tug, it also feels like it could come lose on one end. Is that normal? Do you normally add the fan prior to mounting the MB to the chasis or do you mount the fan first then put the MB in the chasis? I'm just curious because the instructions say to mount the MB to the chasis first but when I do it is very difficult to get the fan to install properly.. I have verified that all of my standoffs are in the correct location.

Thanks,

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

redline is my term for running a cpu at the design limit, think redline on a tachometer

now if that was an earlier B stepping core redline is 62C

heat has been as issue from day one with the quads, intel actually clocked them down to help control it

you are one of the first I have heard of that is having this bad a problem, most enthusiasts don't even bother with the oem cooling, it's cruddy

you may have gotten an even worst one?

should have heat pipes

should always be mounted to the board and doublechecked from all angles before the board is secured in the case

would removing the power supply help you refasten it?

here's a wookie build after 2years at 25% overclock

Temperatures:
Motherboard 30 C (86 F)
CPU 33 C (91 F)
GPU 50 C (122 F)
GPU Ambient 41 C (106 F)
DW CDW63G0-D00NF0A 42 C (108 F)
Seagate ST3250823AS 42 C (108 F)

Edited by DaChew, 13 March 2008 - 10:52 PM.

Chewy

#15 navspice

navspice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

Ok, somehow my fan must have been off by just a hair and it was causing all kinds of heating issues. I took the fan off and refastened it to the board (I'll admit it felt a bit more secure this time) and I ran it for 15 straight minutes and it never went above 27 degrees C. This is probably due to using the retail fan correct? In any event, I'm going to throw an OS on it today to make absolutely sure everything is ok.

Thanks again for the detailed explanations and help Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users