Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memorey (ram)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david21

david21

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

Ok i was having problems with my cpu and ram but my cpu is working fine but my ram is running at 74 to 95% i have vista and i need to lower my RAM cause my computer is running to slow how can i do this and here is some of my system info if it helps:

processor: intelŪ pentiumŪ 4 CPU 1.90GHz 1.89GHz
memory (Ram): 511MB
system type: 32-bit Operating system

on task manager it says these are the highes things runing my ram up

explorer.exe running at 20,836k (physical memory)
iexplorer.exe running at 27,516k (physical memory)

i deleted all my cookies and browser history and other stuff to be4 i did that
explorer.exe was at 54,036k (physical memory) so wat im wondering is the anything else i can do to lower my (physical memory)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

Simple answer, get more RAM. Vista is a memory pig. It wants lots of ram and will use a great deal of it for all kinds of things you don't even want to know about. The specs you post are very, very marginal for a Vista system. I'd get at least 1GB

#3 kozmo403

kozmo403

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:31 AM

I have to agree. Although with Vista, I would recommend you buy a 1GB stick and have at least 1.5 GB. I went from 512MB to 1.5GB when I was using Vista and saw a noticeable difference.

#4 david21

david21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

alright i have my eye's on a small buisnes server is there a such thing as to much memory
cause the one im ordering i'll have about 750.4 GB

#5 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

750.4GB? Of RAM? Are you sure this isn't the disk space? You can never have too much disk space. And theoretically you can't have too much physical memory, either, but then we live in the real world with real OS's that make compromises, like Vista. The 32-bit version of Vista has a maximum of 4GB of real, physical memory. Now that includes the memory on your video cards, your system RAM, etc. Realistically, using 32-bit Vista, anything past 3.5GB is a waste depending on your hardware. If you're using dual SLI attached video cards with 768MB a piece, anything past 2.8GB is useless.

Now if you're going to run the 64-bit version of Vista, you've got more room to play. Depending on which variety of Vista 64 you use, you have 8, 16, or 128GB as memory limits.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

hi,,, the sweet spot as regards ram for vista 32 bit is round about 2gig,,, if you have a usb flash drive, say about 1-2 gig shove it in a usb slot and use the reddyboost that vista has,,,, with 512meg you should see a big improvement in response until you upstick your ram. good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

Last November, 2007. I ordered a Laptop that came with Windows Vista Basic. Processor: @1.73GHz RAM: 512MB.

I got another 1GIG Memory stick, Stuck it in my Laptop, and I have noticed a 30% improvement in performance. (Like, Outlook starts faster, Comodo Firewall 3, MSN, load alot faster on startup)...

So, IMO You need ATLEAST 1GIG. I now have 1.5GIG, and very happy in the improved performance on my pc!

You might or might not notice an improvement though...But a GIG is recommended.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users