Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Get Rid Of Downloader-abj?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mindaynn

mindaynn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

McAfee keeps popping up that I have a Potentially Unwanted Program called Downloader-ABJ and it will not let me completey remove it. The alert showed up when I was trying to install a game from Popcap. Once it popped up I could not finish the game download, so I just forgot it and closed out of it. Now it shows up everytime McAfee scans and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I am using Windows Vista and have enabled Windows Defender, as well as downloaded Ad-Aware and Avert Stinger but nothing has helped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

Where is the file located?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 mindaynn

mindaynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

Here is what McAfee gives me:

File:C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\IDC.tmp\[1]popcaploader_v6[1].cab.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:48 AM

Hello again, mindaynn.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Please go to ESET OnlineScan (NOD32)
  • You will then see the Terms of Use, tick the check-box infront of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start
  • Should you face a Security Warning that asks if you want to install and run a file called "OnlineScanner.cab", click Yes
  • Click Start
    • Note: (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, tick: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan
  • The Onlinescan will now start and scan your pc (this could take a while)
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software, just close the window
  • Click Start >> Run... >> type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The Scanresults will now open in Notepad
  • Click into the text area, right-click and chose "select all" (or use <Control>+A)
  • Right-click again and chose "Copy" (or <Control>+C)
  • Close/Exit Notepad
  • Navigate to this thread and post your log along with anything else requested from us, by right-clicking and "paste" (or ctrl+v) in the text area of the reply post you just created.
Note: For Vista Users: Eset is compatible but Internet Explorer must be run as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)

Good luck,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 mindaynn

mindaynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

UPDATE!! I was finally able to remove the problem. I found the program hiding in an archive file and was able to delete it. All scans show no infected files or threats. Thanks.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'm glad you have resolved the problem mindaynn. Thanks for letting us know.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users