Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double Click Not Working / No Response

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NuVo

NuVo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

Ok, so here is the problem. When double clicking on any of the icons to open anything on the desktop nothing happens. Also along with this on any drop down menus that you need to change, it will not bring out the drop down box with any choices. So if I need to open anything I have to either right click and then select open, or single click the icon and use the keyboard enter key. On the drop box I have to select the box and then arrow key to the selection and hit enter.

Here is the setup. This is on a computer that is a couple of years old running Win XP SP2 using a Logitech Cordess TrackMan Wheel mouse. This has been the setup for years. This problem however has only started last week. I figure this was caused by some update that Microsoft may have done.

The fixes I have already attempted to no avail. First I checked to make sure that the batteries where good. Also checked and reset the wireless connection as well as the connection to the computer. Then I moved on to the control panel and made sure the double click speed was set properly. I then updated to the latest drivers for the mouse. The last thing I tried was to restore to a date that was before this problem started. Checked for spy/malware the system came back clean. I have also Googled this subject and I have not found any remedy to this problem. The next thing on the agenda is trying a wired mouse. But from other people with the same problem that one did not work either.

Any other suggestions, fixes or advice to point me in the direction of fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid the whole answer of wiping the system and starting fresh as this is a friends computer and I donít want to have to restore it from a backup . :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

Have you tried to uninstall the Logitech Cordless Trackman via the Device Manager node of the Computer Management console?

I would try to uninstall the device there and then run a scan for hardware changes to see if Windows can automatically reinstall the hardware to working condition.

To reach the Computer Management console, you can do the following:

Start >> right-click My Computer >> select Manage -OR- Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management

Navigate to the Device Manager node. Locate the Logitech Cordless Trackman under the Mice and other pointing devices branch. Right click the device and select Uninstall. Once the uninstallation process has completed, right click the Local Machine at the top of the hardware tree and select Scan for hardware changes. This should start the Found New Hardware Wizard. Try reinstalling the hardware that way.

Try to restart your computer after uninstalling, when your computer reboots, the Found New Hardware wizard should start up and attempt to install the Logitech Cordless Trackman.

I would start there. Post back for further advice if that doesn't resolve the issue.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 NuVo

NuVo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

Well I went and brought over my wired mouse to try. So I disconnected the wireless receiver for the mouse and connected my wired ps/2 mouse. I then turned the computer on to uninstall the cordless driver through the device manager node as suggested. As the computer was loading all its drivers it auto detected a USB Receiver. what!?!? :inlove:... I disconnected a wireless device not connect a new one.

Well low and behold there must have been a conflict happening with the wireless receiver for the key board and the one for the mouse. After the driver finished installing and loading the keyboard and mouse where working off the same receiver as they should have been setup in the first place. This previous setup has been what was originally set up for them 4-5 years ago. (not by me)

So I would like to thank you for the advice Cyb3r Ninj@. :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

The sweet taste of success!!!!
Right on NuVo!
Glad i was able to help!

:thumbsup:
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users