Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Registry?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sorata

Sorata

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hello, I've tried to solve this by myself but haven't been sucessful. At first I thought it might be a virus so I contacted the guys from the Virus/Worm area:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...1&hl=sorata

They've sent me over here because they think the problem has to do with registry. Your help is much appreciated.

My Flashplayer was having problem for the past 3 months, and I finally got fed up with it and tried to find a solution to the problem. I came across a website with some suggestions, I clicked onto a link which told me it will clear my registry (or somewhere along the line) then reinstall Flashplayer. Everything was fine until I turn on my computer the next morning. Here was what I found:

1. Windows suggested my OS is a counterfeited copy - which is not the case as I got it from Toshiba brand new 2 years ago. I've done update everyweek and the message has never popped up before.

2. When click on Norton AntiVirus, it opens but it's blank and I can not scan

3. I can go onto the internet, but anything that I need to "login" to, I can't do. Ie: if I go to gmail.com it will take me to a page that said the page can't be open.

4. I tried scanning the computer with Adaware, it said it was infected with win32.trojan.killproc. I press delete, and scanned again, it showed nothing aftewards. But the problem I have with the computer's still there.

5. Other than these problems, my computer seem to still be able to work. All my software are running with no significant slowing down in speed. It might be just the calm befor the storm...

I found this forum and I thought I will try to post my hijackthis log and see whether someone could help.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by usasma, 13 March 2008 - 07:13 PM.
***Deleted HJT Log File***

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

After reading your other post and seeing all of the problems you're having, I'd recommend a system reinstall. Unfortunately, it will not save anything you have on the hard drive. Do you have the recovery CD that came with the computer?. What is the model of the Toshiba?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

Well one thing I can advise you to do, is something that you shouldn't. Please do not use a registry cleaner to attemp and fix this problem because using a registry cleaner does not fix these things and can cause serious system damage.

Regards,
David.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:42 AM

Have gone here to Windows One Care site? It's a free check up for your computer. Follow the directions, no guarantee it will help, but it's something to try. I would try running the Protection and the Tune Up. It might take a couple of hours. Also you can click on Start, Run, and run the "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes). You will need your WinXP disk as it replaces files in your system. That takes about 45 minutes on my computer and I have to stay there to click the retry button when the box shows up. But David28 is right about not useing a registry fixer or cleaner..
Just a couple of things to think on... :thumbsup:

edit: forgot something

Edited by Wildabeast, 14 March 2008 - 01:43 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Riaan Roux

Riaan Roux

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

I strongly agree with Wildabeast, "sfc /scannow" would check for damaged system files required and replace them. I recently had a system with similar behaviour and it turned out to be disk corruption. You may also want to try the trusty "chkdsk /f" option in safe mode (command prompt).

#6 Sorata

Sorata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hello,

Thanks for all your help guys. I've tried both the methods, but the computer wouldn't allow me to do either. I think after asking for so many people's advise and didn't get anywhere, it's time for me to give up and say I should reinstall the system. I think it deserves a clean start after all this.

Mark, I don't have the disc lying around, though I know it's in the storage, it would be very awesome if you can help me with that. I have a Toshiba Satellite M70-CL3.

I have my windows XP product key sticker on the Toshiba itself, do I still need anything other than the system restore disc?

Thank you again, for all the help. Much appreciated.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes it's best, especially with multiple problems. No, if you have the key you're all set. When you find your CD's and are ready you'll have to go into your BIOS and set the first boot device to the C drive Other than that, it's pretty straight forward
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users