Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking My E4500

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on overclocking this, and any 3rd party utilities, and any experience with it. Right now it's running with a multiplier of 11, with an FSB of 268 with DRAM set to 667. Is it possible to clock this any higher? Also, on my motherboards overclock in the BIOS, I see the multiplier but it's locked, How do i unlock it?

Thanks,
n0data

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

I have an E4400 which runs at a a default 2.0ghz. I've gotten it up to 3.0ghz pretty stable on the default cooler, but I turned it down to 2.5ghz because I thought I might be overstraining it and didn't see too big of an improvement. Anyway, the best way to do it is straight through the bios. Also, these cpu's don't have unlocked multipliers, and I don't know of anyway to get around this.

What I did with mine was just raised the fsb to 300 (my multiplier is at 10) to achieve 3.0ghz. I have 800mhz ram though, and I didn't want to overclock it since it's cheaper stuff, so I set the ram and fsb to unlinked. I read as long as the ram is running faster then the fsb, you're fine. So my fsb was at 300 and my ram at 400 (DDR for ram so you cut the number in half, in case you didn't know). This worked out pretty well and I wasn't having any overheating issues really.

You can really just go as high as it will let you without having stability issues. I remember hearing a while back getting these processors up to 3.6ghz on air cooling. Just remember to overclock in small intervals, once you get into high frequencies. Make sure to check your temperatures occasionally, especially after gaming or doing some other processor intensive tasks.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:22 AM

Jeez! Right now it's stuck at 2.7Ghz. I guess RAM is my problem, my FSB:RAM ration is 1:1 and I don't know how to change this. I use an ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2 which I hear aren't the best for overclocking. How can i change my RAM:FSB ratio?

Thanks,
n0data

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:39 AM

before you even get started in this you need to do some serious research/googling

there are lots of guides but remember each mobo and bios may be different

this has been gone over before here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;hl=overclock

just one of many threads from searching here for overclock

google your motherboard and overclock for specific tweaks after getting the basics down

go slow before you burn something up, this is rocket science!
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

OK so, I disabled Spread Spectrum (after figuring out what it means =P) and now I'm at an FSB of 269MHz stably, so far. I'm running the stress test on it now to see how it works but so far so good. After this I'm gonna pull her up to my crashout usual, 270MHz, hopefully, it works.

Thanks,
n0data

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

have you set the memory down lower to compensate for raising the front side bus

your cpu will overclock a whole lot more than your ram
Chewy

#7 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

Can't do anything with my RAM. The ration is locked at 1:1. No option for memory frequencies except for Low,Medium,High, and Auto. I had to put it down to 298 because it would crash and I'd seem this red sort of splotch across the top of the screen. Also re-enabled Spread Spectrum because it is now running better with it on. I'm just thinking about getting an entirely new board. It's picked out but it'll take me a bit to get because of the price , so I guess I'm stuck with this. Any ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2 users here know how to overclock on it? Any other advice or how i can get the RAM:FSB multiplier to change?

Thanks,
n0data

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

you are not ready for the force, practise more

reread the manual page 38 is just one of many

DRAM Frequency
If [Auto] is selected, the motherboard will detect the memory module(s)
inserted and assigns appropriate frequency automatically. You may also
select other value as operating frequency: [133MHz (DDR 266)],
[166MHz (DDR 333)], [200MHz (DDR 400)] for DDR; [266MHz (DDRII 533)],
[333MHz (DDRII 667)] for DDRII.

do your homework!

Edited by DaChew, 14 March 2008 - 08:36 PM.

Chewy

#9 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

I only have the option of 266MHz and 333MHz. I've tried each and it still crashes. I'm back at 268 now. Anything above on either RAM frequency crashes. The RAM ratio either way is 1:1. I think I'm just gonna leave it at 268 for now until i get my new board next month (EVGA nForce 780i w. Quad Core Q6600). I think that's all I can do with a motherboard not made for overclocking like this, but if anyone has anymore experience or tips, that'd be great.

Thanks for the help,
n0data

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

you have to use the readout from cpu-z to actually see what different settings in bios are doing
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users