Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Companies Lining Up to Root Out Rootkits

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

Stealthy, remote system access programs called "rootkits" could fuel the next big wave of malicious code, and are already beginning to influence the design of new Internet worms and viruses, according to security experts. Now security software companies are sitting up and taking notice, releasing software that can spot and remove rootkits from infected systems. By Paul Roberts IDG News Service, 03/15/05 In recent weeks a handful of companies, including anti-virus company F-Secure, Sana Security and free software site Sysinternals released products they claim can ferret out kernel rootkit programs that manipulate Microsoft's Windows operating system and evade security software. But the buzz about rootkits may be overblown, according to one leading malicious code expert who says that the powerful programs, while dangerous, will never become as widespread as current viruses, worms or spyware.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SirJon

SirJon

Malware Prevention

• Malware Response Team
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:17 PM

I still think the best method to combat these unwanted backdoors is prevention through a proactive approach.
  • A Competent Updated Antivirus -
  • Properly Configured Firewall -
  • Intrusion Prevension Software -
  • A Third-Party Browser excluding BHOs and ActiveX -

Edited by SirJon, 16 March 2005 - 10:29 PM.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

Yes excellent advice SirJon. :thumbsup:

I just found it interesting enough to post. After all any headways towards combating the destruction that malware writers put upon us. Is a step in the right direction.

Edited by scarlett, 16 March 2005 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#4 SirJon

SirJon

Malware Prevention

• Malware Response Team
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:34 PM

It is very interesting, thank you for your original post Scarlett.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users