Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building My Own Pc!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've been interested in either having a new PC made or building one myself. Sense people here have said that I should get more for my buck if I build it myself I figured that I'd give it a go.

So, I am posting what others on here have suggested for me to purchase to build my very own PC. What I am hoping to do by re-posting here under building your own PC is to get enough feed back to make sure that I am getting the most for my buck.

The first thing to do I am sure is to make sure that everyone understands what I am looking for in building a new PC.

First, I am very sorry to disappoint everyone that is a gamer (which may include pretty much everyone on here I'm not sure), but I am not looking to make a gaming PC, so very Sorry.

I am however, just as fanatical about making the best OFFICE/Entertainment PC that one can make on their own.

I want my PC to be able to handle the ever growing in size programs, to easily play music and music videos all day long as I see fit and I would very much like to know where the technology is today for video cards being able to extend video to TV, (maybe even where they are on TV and DVR - recording TV?).

And I am willing to limit my budget between $800.00 to $1000.00 to make it.

With those criteria in mind I have posted what someone on here has already suggested for building my PC.

First, the case. What has been suggested is fine, I'll go with that unless someone can make a better suggestion:

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Second, the mother board. Again, I'll go with the suggestion unless someone can make a better suggestion:

ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Compatible with DDR3 or DDR2 memory

Third, the memory. These chips are the ones recommended for this mother board. Unless I get a better suggestion for a mother board I see no reason in not using this memory here.

OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Fourth, power supply. No argument on this, seems ample, unless someone has a better suggestion of course:

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply 115/ 230 V UL, CUL, TUV, FCC, and CB certification - Retail

Fifth, the processor. The following is the first suggestion someone gave me:

Intel Xeon 3075 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Seems OK except someone suggested this second one and says it's a little newer and better performer:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

I'll listen to arguments for either but I tend to want to choose the latter - second suggestion sense it suppose to be newer and better for the same price.

Sixth, the Video Card. Again, the following is the first suggestion someone gave me for a video card:

EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

The next is the second suggestion that is suppose to be better than the first suggestion for a video card:

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

And again, I will listen to any ones suggestions on which is better, one of these tow or another one. Other wise I will tend to go with the second suggestion sense it is suppose to be better.

Seventh, is the Hard Drive. I have no argument against the suggestion here:

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I will use this one unless someone can an argument for something else.

Eighth, the DVD Recorder/Player. Ditto here, no argument against it from me. It is so much better than what I have right now that I can't find anything wrong with it:

ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe

Ninth, a different CPU Cooler. Someone suggested that I get a better CPU Cooler than the one with either CPU. So, I guess that I will. Anyone have a different idea I'll be happy to hear it:

Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler

So, that is it for the suggestions given to me from other BleepingComputer.com members. I am actually quit happy with the suggestions so far. I know that I shouldn't have to much of a problem assembling a PC but I just am not that familiar with looking for the right parts to assemble.

I am very much happy to hear peoples suggestions and will use them to purchase and assemble. I do have one question still about USB ports. I must be using 6 USB ports on my present antique PC for various things. Will I have any problem with this with what is suggested above?

Thanks,

John
:thumbsup:

PS If there are no new suggestions then I will start with purchasing the parts. Thanks

Edited by Johnz414, 13 March 2008 - 04:45 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

I agree with using the duo processor. As far as every thing else goes it sounds like a slick rig to me, but I don't see you keeping it under a grand. Let me know what you choose.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

Get the Core 2 Duo processor. The Xeons are designed for servers. I think it would work on a home computer, but the core 2 duo is definitely better.

Also, about the video cards, if you're using it just for watching tv, you could probably get a card with the same video playback quality (not graphics for gaming though) for less. ATI came out with some lower end models of the HD 3000 series. I don't know much about how well video cards play back TV, movies, and that other stuff, but I think you could get something jsut as good if not better for less money. Maybe someone else will come along and help you out!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi,

I hope that someone will respond to this post.

I've started on purchasing items from the above list and Newegg.com seems to give combo deals with items as you purchase them.

One of the deals offered is an 850 Watt power supply with the:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

With a discount of $50.00 for a total of $339.98.

W
here as what has been recommended and that I've already included in my purchase is the 550 Watt for $50.00 after a $30.00 mail in rebate for a total of $240.00.

I'm saving a $100.00 which is substantial but will 850 Watts make that much a difference that it might be worth it.

Remember that I am only looking for an OFFICE/Entertainment PC.

Thanks

John

PS I will post what I'm getting when I'm all done putting it together.

PPS I also checked the ATI 3000 series vedio cards and they all seemed to be for at least $100.00 more than the one suggested here.

If anyone knows any better please do let me know.

Edited by Johnz414, 16 March 2008 - 01:01 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

For the ATI Radeon HD 3000 series I was thinking about one of the lower end cards such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102726 . Here is some info about it. http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/pr...d=208&grp=3 . I don't know if this is better then the 8600GT, but I figured it was a bit cheaper, newer and the features sound pretty good on that second link I sent.

For the power supply, a good 400Watt would be plenty. The 550Watt is nice, and it would be a waste to get the 850watt. It's not like the powers going to be wasted, but you don't even need half that much to run a system like that.

Edited by Sterling14, 15 March 2008 - 09:10 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hi Sterling14,

I went a head and purchased the:

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

I am not sure this one is any better than the:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102726

that you suggested.

Your's is 512 MB, the one I got is only 256 MB, if that makes all that much of a difference, I'm not sure. Maybe you can let me know?

I do have a question on the description of the memory type that each is. Your suggestion says that it is a GDDR2 while the one I purchased is a GDDR3 type of memory.

What does this mean for the regular DDR2 RAM memory that I purchased for it? Is there going to be any conflict here? I have know idea of the relationship between GDDR Video memory and the DDR RAM memory? Is there any? Do I need to worry?

Should I change what I purchased and order what you recommended?

512 MB should be better too.

Just want to make sure.

John

PS I have gone a bit over my $800.00 to a $1000.00 price tag limit I set for myself but I'm hoping that it will be a worth while and some what long lasting Investment.

I've gotten pretty much everything on the list, the 550 Watt power supply though and a few extras that I've been wanting to get, like a web cam and a packaged Windows Vista Ultimate OS (a good savings for what I've seen), so it's a bit more than I anticipated.

But I am pretty happy with what I've gotten.
John

Albert Einstein.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:28 AM

Ya the 8600GT might be the best choice. I didn't notice the 3650 only had DDR2 memory. That means its slower then the 8600GT's DDR3 memory. This doesn't have anything to do with the kind of ram your system uses. Some better cards use DDR4 ram and thats not even available as a type of system ram yet.

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

The bell has tolled 10:00 am Sunday morning 'here' and all is well!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 16 March 2008 - 10:25 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users