Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip 169.x.x.x

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

I am working on a donated P4 Gateway for a charity. The NIC is Linksys LNE 100 TX (driver Linksys LNE 100 TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE 100 TX v. 4) It has an ethernet socket on the motherboard and the Linksys is a PCI card. I am assuming that the card was added b/c the onboard was not working but don't know for sure. I did try the following with both sockets.

The connection (through a router) does work when it is connected to another computer. Device manager does not show any problems. I did ping 127.0.0.1 and no packets lost. When checking IP through cmd, the IP 169.x.x.x also sometimes get "media disconnected" message. I did move the card to another slot with the same results. I went into network connections and changed ethernet IP to a made up static IP, saved it, then changed back to dynamic. Under command, I released the IP, then renewed IP but only get 169.x.x.x

Any ideas of what I can try the next time I come in to work?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

What's "ipconfig /all" say? Have you tried reloading the driver, or the OS? A full reinstall is a good idea on a donated system since you have no idea where it came from or what mess is on the hard drive.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

Also, you might want to check the BIOS. Some boards with onboard ethernet allow you to disable it in favor of a ethernet card. Perhaps yanking the card out will allow the onboard connection to take over? What's the make/model of the MB?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

The 169. number indicates that the computer couldn't find a 192. address that it could use (or another valid address).

When connected to the router, can you enter the setup screen for the router? The IP address is usually printed on the bottom of the router.

Here's an article that may help: http://www.pctechbytes.com/computer/article-8.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

This has been a common situation amongst users. Refer to the advice in the following post for information regarding the APIPA address range and what you can do to try and bypass this situation:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133029/ip-address-problem/
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users