Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Ram Upgrading Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 elite98

elite98

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

Hello everyone, sadley my first post is a question to which I need help on but hopefully I can provide info in the future.

My problem is I am not sure on what I can use as memory to speed up my computer so I can play some newer games. I can provide more information later when I get home as right now I am at school, but I thought I'd provide the basics now and add the rest later because someone may have an idea to solve my problem.

My current computer is a Northgate desktop computer and has windows xp installed on it when we bought it. It is a few years old. The mother board is a Foxconn(I'll post the serial later) and has a 2.5 GH processer. Noth that it matters but I just went out and upgraded the stock video card to a 256 mb Nvidia geForce FX 5500. The current and stock ram is a 512mb Apacer with a code of pc2300(if I remember correctly..I'll make sure when I get home) after some searching for a pc2300 memory stick I see they aren't around as much as the pc2100's or the pc2700's. My question is would I be able to use a pc2700 or larger as long as it has the same number of pins? Also, how would I figure out how many pins it has? I know there is 184 and 240, for example, and one is longer then the other which the wrong one wouldn't fit correctly. I couldn't figure anything out googling so I thought I'd ask for some assistance online. And according to a scanner I can go up to 4gb of ram and I'm thinking that or 2gb..depends on pricing..most likely two 2gb sticks so I wouldn't have to buy more later and just upgrade to the max of 4gb of memory.

Here is a scan of a program called "CPU Z" with the processor, chipset and memory information and of course thank you for looking at my post:

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name Intel Pentium 4
Codename Northwood
Specification Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.50GHz
Package Socket 478 mPGA (platform ID = 2h)
CPUID F.2.9
Extended CPUID F.2
Brand ID 9
Core Stepping D1
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 2505.6 MHz (25.0 x 100.2 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 400.9 MHz
Stock frequency 2500 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 Data cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no
Features

Chipset
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge SiS 650 rev. 80
Southbridge SiS LPC Bridge rev. 25
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 2.0
AGP Transfer Rate 4x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 512 MBytes
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Apacer Technology (7F7A000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2300 (142 MHz)
Part number
Serial number FFFFFFFF
Manufacturing date Week 255/Year 255

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 142
CAS# 2.0 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS 6 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

by all means give that foxconn mobo model number

the memory is already set wrong, there is no such speed

I am guessing you need 333/2700 cas 2.5 memory

you might need to upgrade your bios or maybe just change the settings some

Edited by DaChew, 13 March 2008 - 02:13 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

Okay, the biggest change to the above would be my memory it is the pc2100. Not sure why I thought the other one in the first post, my mistake.

So the stats on my motherboard would be:
Foxconn-I'm not sure which number is which so I'll post both

US56540510053 OR (I can't make out which it is..a "U" or a "W" hence the reason for these codes)
Ws56540510053

The other number:
PC 650M02-G-GL

Can't find any info on those numbers though..kind of weird in my opinion.

And my memory/RAM:

Apacer
P/N 77.10703.19A
S/N 1104091-11346

512 UNB Pc2100 CL2

But as long as it is the PC2100 it will work or do I still have to worry about DDR RAM, DDR - Dual Channel, DDR2 RAM, DDR2 - Dual Channel being compatible with the mobo and also the pin number or are all pc2100's the same pin? For example, could I use a "OCZ Gold XTC 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory" with 240 pins if mine is a 184? Probably not but just wondering as DDR2 is a ton cheaper than DDR memory.

Edited by elite98, 13 March 2008 - 04:34 PM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

DDR2 will NOT work in a board that only supports DDR ram. You should just go with the DDR pc2100. Mixing speeds can sometimes lead to problems, especially with older DDR ram. 2gb should be sufficient on windows xp and maybe 3gb but your system is probably using windows xp 32-bit and that won't show more over 3gb total ram, even if you have 4gb installed.

Also, I don't know how well the FX5500 will play newer games. You can give it a try, but I wouldn't expect newer games to play very well even on low settings, and Crysis (probably the most graphic intense game out for pc) probably won't even open. Older games should play alright on it though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

Thats too bad as DDR2 is cheaper and I am a cheapwod lol. I will probably go with 1 or 2 GBs as I don't have that much money but want to get Assassian's Creed when it comes out in April..don't think that will go so well as my processor doesn't make the requirements but I suppose we'll see after I get NFS Prostreet and see how that goes. Anywhere good anyone would recommend for cheaper pricing? The cheapest I found was from tigerdirect and it was between $45 and $55 for a 1GB?

Thanks for the help

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

don't even try the 1 gig sticks, not many of those old boards even support them

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820141215

much safer bet
Chewy

#7 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

That is really is disapointing as I really wanted to go up to 2GB minimum. So if I got both of those and added my apacer (512mb) how high of a chance would I have issues? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. It doesn't make sence that the motherboard says it can handle up to 4gbs but there is a chance it won't read 1 gb sticks because its old..so then the chances of doing that wouldn't work as there is only 3 slots..to which I've only seen two but haven't looked that much. Also, do I have to get pc2100 or can I get pc2700 or pc3200 as long as it has 184 pins? For example(I'm just making numbers up here), my mobo can go up to 200 mhz for memory but the ram can go to, lets say 333 mhz, I would only be able to use 200 mhz of that 333mhz, correct? Which would mean 133 mhz of that memory frequency would be wasted, right?
I have to talk to a kid who has 1 gb ram sticks to see if I could bring my comp over to his house to see if my comp will read the memory and I'll post back on what happens..if he lets me that is.

So after being told my graphics card(nvidia geforce fx5500) is pretty crappy for todays games and seeing I have until tomorrow to return it to wally-world to get my money back with the 15 day return period, I am deciding to upgrade it to something better(plus it was very over priced ($85) but thats beside the point as I could get the same one for $60ish online) I am wondering if I would be able to use a pci express card with this motherboard because they seem to be better/newer and alot cheaper to plain pci cards. I'm unsure just because of it saying express as it is more advanced then pci I would believe.

Thanks for the help thus far, it has been appreciated greatly.

Edited by elite98, 14 March 2008 - 11:59 AM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherbo...nn/651M02-G-6L/

Is this your motherboard?
Chewy

#9 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

That mobo you listed does not contain the same numbers as mine.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherbo...nn/650M02-G-6L/

This one is the closest match, unless I read the numbers wrong as I read my mobo number as "650M02-G-GL" and the clostest match replaced the last "G" with a 6, "650M02-G-6L" and says I can only go up to 2GB when CPU z said my comp was able to go up to 4GB. Don't ask if it looks like it because I'm not sure..first hand it does but I can compare when I get home today.

(Edit)
After a scan at crucial with the "650M02-G-6L" as there was nothing with the other number(when I tried last week) it also said that mother board could only go up to 2GB at 1 GB per slot but for my "graphics support" it said "AGP 4x" but mine has to be a "PCI" because that is the graphics card I have and PCI wouldn't work in a AGP I wouldn't think. Something has to be wrong here or is it just me?

Edited by elite98, 14 March 2008 - 02:05 PM.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

You will have to open the case and inspect with a small flashlight, you want to be absolutely sure about this?

A single 512 or 1024 stick might be your best bet, I doubt you have a pci card, in my link it shows an agp slot that would correspond to the highest horizontal slot in the back. Pci would be dog slow for your uses. PCI-e is only for newer computers, it's not really related to pci at all. It's really more like agp 8x times 2?
Chewy

#11 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

A single 512 or 1024 stick might be your best bet, I doubt you have a pci card, in my link it shows an agp slot that would correspond to the highest horizontal slot in the back. Pci would be dog slow for your uses. PCI-e is only for newer computers, it's not really related to pci at all. It's really more like agp 8x times 2?

It is the "650M02-G-6L" version for the mobo as I rechecked when I got home. But how come i can use my pci video card if i have agp? or is it universal? or am i just wrong?

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

with a special video bus like pci-e 16 or agp only one device can use it, so it's either use agp onboard or an agp card

pci cards can be used along with the agp at the same time
Chewy

#13 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

Well after a little research I found this is one of the better cards I can have, unless of course I had the pci express socket which I don't so this video card will have to do.

For memory, how are these? The prices are near my range and it'll go up to 2GB just like I want. Should I have any problems would anyone think? Would I have any problems running duels?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820161161

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146841

The question is would my mobo be able to read these cards as they are pc3200? Or would it not use the full frequency/voltage of the card?

Or how about buying two of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820141166

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231036

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820159106 (I don't trust this one myself but threw it in as it was pc2100)

#14 elite98

elite98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

well forget it..it doesn't seem like anyone was going to reply anyway...I ordered the pc2700 pqi 1 gb ram(2 of them) only to have my computer completely die the day before I get them which is so fricking sucky!!!!! so anyway..just thought I'd let ya'll know...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users