Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Acting Very Strange

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jziegler

jziegler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

I have a computer that was running very well and suddenly became very sluggish and acting strangely. It will not allow me to reboot into safe mode or boot to the BIOS Configuration screen. When attemptng to boot to the safe mode it goes through the motions showing all the file paths etc then goes back to the screen that shows the differnt boot methods. When booting to the Bios it does not bring up the Bios but instead brings up a small screen askking whether to boot from the C drive or Cdrom drive. I have scanned and rescanned with various spyware programs including webroot and virus scnas with nortons 360, nothing is showing up I have defragged the computer and run dsik cleanup numerous times also. Does anybody have any idea what this might be?
Also all hardware and software appears to be working fine with no new dowloads prior to the start of this problem.

Jerry Ziegler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

What OS (Win XP, XP SP1, XP SP2/2000, etc) are you using?
Have you tried using System Restore to return to a previous state before your problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jziegler

jziegler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

I am running windows XP pro on this computer, Yes I have tried several restores using system restore but to no avail it tells me the restore failed each time. I have also tried restoring it from Nortons 360 backup. Whatever this is seems to have stopped several services and programs that would have the ability to fix the issue.

After 3 scans of webroot I only get that it found 68 tracking cookies which were deleted. Nortons 360 didn't even find them after numerous scans.

Jerry Z

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:36 AM

Sounds like hardware (hard disk) to me. Correct me if I'm wrong quietman7.

Try booting into normal mode and typing the following at the run prompt

chkdsk /f

It will ask to run on next reboot. Do so. After that's done, if you still have problems, try

chkdsk /r

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:46 AM

Some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot into safe mode but it won't hurt to run chkdsk /f and the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions first.

To use System File Checker:
Go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

"I don't have an installation CD for Windows XP - what if I need one?".

Note: Per Microsoft there sometimes can be problems with using SFC:

When you try to run the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, you may be prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD. However, the System File Checker does not accept either the Windows XP SP2 CD or the original Windows XP CD. This problem occurs because the System File Checker must verify the SP2 files against the originally installed files. However, the System File Checker does not recognize the Windows XP SP2 CD or the Windows XP CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900910
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users