Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Got 200 Computer On-burn....will Metal Get Hotter Than Wood?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlueTJMCRT

BlueTJMCRT

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

Here is a question I've been arguing with a co-worker about.

Here is the deal.

We burn anywhere from 200 to 300 computers in at a time in our burn room that has doors that remain shut at all times.

This is a two part question so here we go.

If I was to have those computers on a 24 hour build and then pull them down, would the room remain the same temperture inside as if the computers were on a 5-7 day burn in?

The argument being that the computers internal parts might stay the same temp, but over time, the computers act as space heaters heating everything up around them, and the room itself.

Second...

If those computers are burning on Metal Racks that are solid beneath the PC's, instead of WOOD racks, is the metal going to get hotter than the wood, thus producing more heat than wood would?

We have been arguing this back and fourth for awhile now.

Thanks

Edited by BlueTJMCRT, 13 March 2008 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

Computers do generate allot of heat thats why most server rooms are Air conditioned Year round. As for the wood Vs. Metal, Metal conducts heat better than wood so it will get hotter faster than the wood will. As for max temperatures the wood will catch fire before the metal will so the metal can get hotter. The Metal will also give off its heat faster then the wood will. The wood acts as an insulator. As for the effects on the room temperature I haven't a definitive answer to that.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users