Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Boot Up Slow & System Tray Icons Not Showing After Ms Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dabooj

dabooj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

Hi Guys,

i'm a newbie to this forum so please forgive me if i make a mistake with the procedures & rules.

I recently (march 1st 2008) re-installed my XP prof on my PC using a Norton Ghost Image i had. This imaged fine & the system ran very quickly (like it does with a new install of XP). I then decided to complete the microsoft updates so my systemwould be fully up to date. After i had completed all the updates i realised that my XP boot up became very slow.
It was normal up to the welcome screen but then when it gats to my desktop the system hangs and does not let me do anything for around 2-3 minutes (normally would only take 20-30 seconds at this point). The hourglass mouse icon appears and i have to wait a long time before the system is usable again. Furthermore, i had around 6 or 7 system tray icons on my XP (including AVG, volume control, network connection, usb device connectoin, etc). All of my system tray icons have gone missing except the network connection icon.
This has all happened after i did the MS update.
I decided that this may be a one-off problem & so i re-formatted my system & re-installed XP from the image i had (on the 8th March 2008). Again, the system loaded fine and was booting up very quickly & with all the system tray icons showing. But after i did the MS updates again the XP boot became very slow & system tray icons dissapeared (as it did before). This is when i realised that the problem must be with the MS updates.

Has anyone come across this problem?
Anyone know how i can resolve the issue?

Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks,

Shuja.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

Try uninstalling the updates one at a time until you find the offending update, then reinstall the rest. One thought is seeing how you're using a ghost image, it might be the WGA tool
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dabooj

dabooj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

How do i uninstall individual updates?

#4 dabooj

dabooj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

No probs, I've managed to figure out how to unInstall the MS updates on an individual update basis.
I will try & determine which one was causing the problem & report back here with the info.

Shuja

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users