Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Please Help Me!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pup9

pup9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:46 AM

Hello, MY comp. has been running so slow lately offline and online I use Mac afee and Adaware and i scan and Mac afee never finds any thing Ada ware finds about 15 things each day (I think that they r just little things) but cleaning them doesn't solve prob. --------I do not know what I have as in regards to worm, maleware, virus ect. I always keep getting the little hour glass running next to my pointer. How do i know which program to down load to fix ,if the ones i mentioned above do not do it, which ones will.--------- Please help I am just a newbie and i am not sure what to do ------ I am using Windows XP the problem happend one day I was using Skype ( a chat) and i got a messg saying that i might have Maleware and to clik on a site to fix problems (the fix was called Dargo ) so i did it and it found many problems and it supposedly fixed them ,but ever since it has been slow , like my virtual mem is being eaten up. I also got rid of Dargo but when i look in uninstall programs its name is still there but when i try to uninstall it ,it says no program even exists. so i do not know what is slowing it down

Edited by pup9, 13 March 2008 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hello pup9 and welcome to BC :flowers:

the problem happened one day I was using Skype ( a chat) and I got a message saying that I might have Malware and to click on a site to fix problems (the fix was called Dargo)

Was Dargo the name of the supposed security program? If not, please identify. This is likely a big cause of your problems as it the message you got was from a Rogue, or False, security product.

At this point, I would like you to run a scan with SUPERAntiSpyware in Safe Mode. You will, of course, install it in Normal Mode.

Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware free found here: SUPERAntiSpyware

Be sure to click on the download button to the left, not on the free trial download on the right.

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.
It will ask if you want to update the program definitions, click Yes.
Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
  • Close browsers before scanning
  • Scan for tracking cookies
  • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
o Please leave the others unchecked.
o Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
Reboot into Safe Mode
On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK.
Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next.
It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes.
Reboot into Normal Mode
To retrieve the removal information for me please do the following:
o After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntispyware icon on your desktop.
o Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o It will open in your default text editor (such as Notepad/Wordpad).
o Please highlight everything in the notepad, then right-click and choose copy.
Click close and close again to exit the program.

Please post the log in your next reply.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 pup9

pup9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hello Orange Blossom
I did what you told me up to starting in safe mode. When i go to safe mode I get a blue box over the black safe mode screen.
It says : Select first boot drive. then there r 4 options -- 1) floppy 2) IDE-0 3) CDROM 4) Network
under that is the [up/dn] select [return] Boot [ESC] cancel
so I do not know what to do to get to Main screen to select: Scan for harmful software and, so on
please help
thank you

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

that has happened to me when I started tapping F8 too early, select IDE-0 and start tapping F8 immediately
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users