Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Used Msconfig Safeboot And Now My Computer Keeps On Restarting! Please Help! :)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crazycrazy

crazycrazy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hiya, I wanted to try deleting some files etc because I believe they're causing problems but I haven't been able to access Safe Mode due to various viruses I thought I deleted them all and maybe I have but I still couldn't access Safe Mode. I looked on a website and someone suggested using MSCONfig and click SafeBoot on the BOOT.INI tab and now I've done that it now restarts WINDOWS but cuts off about 2 seconds after the WINDOWS XP loading screen appears and just restarts and asks me if I want to:

Start Windows Normally
Last Known working configuration
And 3 Safe Boot Modes

I've tried them all but my computer won't get passed the WINDOWS screen without restarting, and it's because of the SAFEBOOT setting on MSConfig and the fact that SAFE boot isn't working at present due to the virus etc. So is there anything I can do to fix this, because I can't get onto my computer? *I'm posting this from another computer on a training course* so a quick-ish response would be REALLY appreciated! Thanks alot!!!

Additonal info:

WINDOWS XP (Home Edition) Service Pack 2
CPU 2.00Ghz Intel Celeron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Install the XP Recovery Console ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 )

Then type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter - and let it check your disk.
Then type "bootcfg /rebuild" without the quotes and press Enter - then follow the prompts to rebuild your boot configuration file.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 crazycrazy

crazycrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

Install the XP Recovery Console ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 )

Then type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter - and let it check your disk.
Then type "bootcfg /rebuild" without the quotes and press Enter - then follow the prompts to rebuild your boot configuration file.

thanks for that but I can't actually do that, I don't have a XP disk (I'll have to dig around to check) and my computer just restarts all the time after I pick any option available on the black screen with options such as Start Windows normally, Last known working configuration etc. So I can't get onto my computer/logon etc to install anything... Is there not any other way?? thank you very much for your reply though! mwah! :thumbsup:

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:09 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/134660/serious-boot-problem/

if this sounds similar?

quite elaborate fixes?

many of these malware removals are not user friendly or tailored for a do-it-yourselfer
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:09 AM

You can download a recovery console ISO from here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/rc.iso (Direct download link)
Use an ISO burner to burn the ISO to a CD.
Then boot from that CD to get into the Recovery Console.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 crazycrazy

crazycrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

I've reinstalled XP but my mouse seems to be going crazy still, I've read that I should clean my BOOT SECTOR from viruses etc could someone suggest a tool I could use to do this please? thanks! :thumbsup:

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

I might try another mouse or update drivers after checking device manager before assuming I had a boot sector rootkit trojan
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users