Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Procedure Call Worm Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mattasdf

mattasdf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

Hi

My computer was recently infected with something that opens a window for a RPC (remote procedure call) with a timer of 60 seconds. This will pop up usually after getting into windows, after 60 seconds my computer shutsdown. For the momment I use the command "shutdown -a" to abort this countdown. Created desktop shortcut for convenience.

Many functions on my computer do not work. I noticed the number of processes are signifcantly reduced, however sometimes I have upto 5-6 svchost.exe running. One or more of these processes constantly crashes giving me application errors. Generally shortly after the RPC will begin. I've run msconfig, most of the services have been stopped.

-Im unable to connect to the internet or any network. (Infact nothing is listed in network connections, trying to create a new one does nothing)
-Im unable to run my virus protection
-Unable to paste files, folders, etc
-Ocasional blue screen of death relating to 'File System'
-Most programs crash randomly
+many many more odd things

Any help would be appreciated. I have tried searching these forums and google, but I dont know what Im searching for.

Edited by KoanYorel, 13 March 2008 - 07:29 AM.
Moved from Windows XP Home forum to the more appropriate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

Hello,

It looks like the sasser or blaster worm. http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/blastera.html this site will give you removal instructions.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users