Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding Free Hardware Driver Updates

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:58 AM

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to find up to date drivers for my computer's two (2) CD Rom Drives. Actually, one is simply a CD-R and the other is a CD-R/RW drive.

My Computer is an Intergraph Vizual Workstation ZX1
The CPU is an Intel Pentium III (Slot 1)
The Motherboard is a TYAN S1832D Tiger 100
The video card is a Matrox Millenium G400
The audio card is a Philips PSC604 (Dynamic Edge 4.1)
The CD-R Drive is only identified as an ATAPI-CD ROM DRIVE-50MAX
The CD-R/RW is a CyberDrv CW085D CD-R/RW
My OS is Windows XP SP Professional

My frustration is that I have been able to find drivers for all of my hardware items EXCEPT for the CD ROM Drives. Actually, I think I can get those drivers if I am willing to pay a fee to some Driver Scanning Service but I don't think that I should have to do that. I am sure that SOMEBODY out there (in here) must know where I can find these drivers for no charge.

So, if anybody can help me in my quest for these drivers I would really, really appreciate it.

Thank you all for your time and hopefully for your kind asisstance!!! :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

trumpetman51 - John
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:03 AM

this may of been tried but its not mentioned in your original post, have you tried the website of the manufactuors? most drivers can be found on their website for constant updates.

Try this [post="http://digilander.libero.it/pnavato/drivers/"]WEBSITE[/post] for a list of drivers and links to download them
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

It appears that your motherboard is based on the Intel 440BX chipset
http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/tiger100.html
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets...devleftnav&

From what I've been able to learn, the 440BX is not available for Windows XP. Most posts that I read stated that the default Windows drivers work well for this.

Where are you seeing that the CD drives need the driver? Is it in Device Manager, or is it because your CD device is having problems?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi guys...thanks for replying so quickly!!

Ok, first, to Emu1616, yes I have tried manufacturers...but, for some reason Cyberdrive site seems to be gone or cannot be found... as for the ATAPI, as I said I think its generic so I don' hav a clue as to manufacterer...I even looked ON the piece for a mfr's name....did find a model # but it didn't turn up anything yet.

Now in answer to Usama...I tried to use ISO Recorder to do a simple Copy CD to CD, from E to F putting a store bought music CD in E and it's telling me that source drive (E) type is unsupported (that's the Atapi, straight CD ROM) drive type....

Also, for some reason, in My Computer it shows F has having a disk in it but it is sayin it is not accessible....

I know...SOME mess right??

I don't know...I may just need to uninstall each drive and let XP find them and install them again but I thought it might be good idea to get their actual driver files instead of depending on default Windows drivers....

I may be making too much of a simple problem, I know, but I would like to have those drivers if I can track them down...

I tried the Intergraph Support site for the (E), the ATAPI, 'cuz I believe that's the original CD Rom drv in this machine but found no help there. The links to the TYAN and Intel sites might prove to be helpful though!!

The (F), CyberDrv (CDR/RW) is an item that I added to this machine...

Thanks again for the help...to both of you!!! I know this is a problem that can be overcome and it will probably prove to be one of those that I will laugh at myself about by the end of the day!!!

:thumbsup:

John
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

Have you tried uninstalling both optical drives in the device manager and rebooting the computer, the installation wizard should recognize both drives and "found new hardware" and look for the drivers for them. If your drivers have become corrupted this would usually take care of the problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

To Emu1616....here's an example...go to the website that you provided the link for to me... http://digilander.libero.it/pnavato/drivers/ and try any of the 3 links for Cyberdrive.....they don't work...

Just wanted you to see what I've seen re: Cyberdrive....

John

trumpetman51 (John)

#7 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Have you tried uninstalling both optical drives in the device manager and rebooting the computer, the installation wizard should recognize both drives and "found new hardware" and look for the drivers for them. If your drivers have become corrupted this would usually take care of the problem.

Thanks dc3....yes I had thought of that idea as well and I am going to try that as soon as my computer is done with its present task and I am able to reboot it.

Big THANK YOU to everyone for your help and suggestions!! I have never found a more helpful an friendly group of people in any other forum!!!

I will let you all know how this turns out!!

John

trumpetman51 (John)

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

the drivers within xp work for atapi drives, they are standard!

Even the newest dvd burners use them, that older noname drive is probably broken

even the cd-r/rw is quite dated and not even listed on the standard firmware page

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?cate...p;manufactor=43

firmware is what you worry about with optical drives, not drivers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

Hey there Chewy!!

Thanks for the important information. As a matter of fact when I was looking for the drvrs for the CyberDrv I DID find a place to update the firmware!!

Stay as Chew as you ARE!!!

trumpetman51 (John)

#10 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

To Emu1616....here's an example...go to the website that you provided the link for to me... http://digilander.libero.it/pnavato/drivers/ and try any of the 3 links for Cyberdrive.....they don't work...

Just wanted you to see what I've seen re: Cyberdrive....

John

aye ive tried the links now and see that theres nothing coming up, didnt have time to check them earlier sorry about that.

maybe best as suggested to uninstall and then reboot letting windows reinstall them on reload
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

The driver for the CD drives isn't actually for the CD drive - but rather it's for the controller on the motherboard (part of the chipset) that controls how the device is read.

FWIW - I've had issues with ISO Recorder in the past. It's a great app, but it's a bit finicky at times.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

The driver for the CD drives isn't actually for the CD drive

they are called the upper and lower filter drivers and system drives

Edited by DaChew, 13 March 2008 - 07:43 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users