Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cannot Play .avi Files In A Non-admin Account

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:03 AM

In an non-admin account, I cannot play .avi files. Switching users work, but i prefer using a limited users account because to give me many security advantages. Anyway to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

Not an expert on this, but can you tell me what happens when you play the avi file on a limited account? Like, an error occurs, nothing happens, etc.?
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi, you have already answered your own question, you need to install a codec such as Divx ect. and on a limited account you will not be able to install it.
MCP
MSDST

#4 K.O

K.O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

I don't think its the codec problem. I don't need to install anything to play on an admin account. VLC gives me the error "Unable to open 'C:\DOCUME~1\LIMITE~1\MYDOCU~1\MYVIDE~1\ZERO_N~1\_K850D~1.AVI' ". I tried it in WMP but it still doesn't work.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

• Is the file accessible by a Limited User? (eg in a sharing folder)
  • Does the Limited User have a DivX Player installed?

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

Random suggestion: Try moving your .avi to the desktop and try from there.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#7 K.O

K.O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:42 AM

the desktop moves works. thanks very much

#8 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:19 AM

Glad to help :thumbsup: I used to have the same problem myself.
For future reference you might not want to store your movies and such in the My Documents area, the computer almost always denies access to the subfolders if you're on a limited account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users